1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP! Rare fretless Precision Body with a Jazz Neck MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by los100malditos, Sep 25, 2010.

1. HELP! is it POSSIBLE from factory??? just bought a very rare MIM fretless Precision Bass with Jazz Neck BUT in the headstock says JAZZ BASS ... IM I BEING FOOLED??? (it is not the aerodyne or Duffs bass) serial MZ7 xxxxxx

2. :meh:So, the body is fretless?:eyebrow:

3. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    They`re not rare. I see fretless bodies everywhere I look :smug:

4. sorry ... fretless Precision Bass with Jazz Neck BUT in the headstock says JAZZ BASS

5. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I say no, not original. Somebody swapped necks.

6. that was my first impression ... all the screws on the neckplate are flawless, new, mint ... someone did it very very carefully ...

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Wow, someone removed screws without damaging them? Is that even possible? Could it be that they heard of, and amazingly, had access to, the fabled #2 Phillips head screwdriver?

8. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    it is said that only the chosen one can wield the phillips head screw driver, the end of fretless bodies is near!

9. Papersen

Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Can you post some pics of the bass ??
    That would be useful to determine it.

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    All kidding aside, the only thing that can be believed about that bass at this time is the Neck is a 2007 MIM Jazz neck (and I'd still like to see pics of it to be sure). I don't think Fender's currently making a Fretless Precision in that price range, so it makes a sort of sense that someone put it together. However, that Precision body could be anything. There are tons of P-Bass copies out there; it could be a MIM Fender, but it also could be an SX, Hondo, or any of a number of other brands. The bass didn't come from factory that way; there is no Custom Shop in Mexico that I've ever heard of. That being said, if the bass is selling for cheap, and sounds and plays great, who cares?

11. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT

You guys are goin with very little sleep, eh? :p

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    No, not at all. Is that a joke? I mean, I see the laughing emoticon, but I don't see the joke.

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Possibly because youre coming down hard on the guy for nothing, Dan. I mean.. hes asking a question, and you gave a terribly sarcastic answer. You made up for it in your later post though!

Post some pictures, itd help us out big time.

14. here are some pics of the thing

reducida.jpg

reducida fender.jpg

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The body's a Squier. It could be something cheaper, but it looks Squier to me.

16. How you can tell is Squier?

17. Are squier smaller or something?

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Because I used to have one like that.

19. Squier Precison Special body with Mighty Mite neck

4070565973_76a4cd9c79_z.jpg

easy way to see is measuring the width
    or how thick the body
    If its a Fender then the average thickness is 1 1/2" give or take measured at the upper and lower bouts (horns)
    My Squier was much thinner probably between 1"-1-1/4"
    plus the agathis body was super light

still it was a great sounding bass
    I just hope you didnt buy it for over 250 bucks

20. thank you yellofury ... a scientific answer

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021