Help recognize this made in Japan bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RTVRS, Aug 19, 2021.

1. RTVRS

RTVRS

Aug 19, 2021
    Hey everyone!

I bought a bass and a guitar from a guy in Germany. The gear is on the way to me but it will take a week or so when i get my hands on the gear. While I know the guitar brand (it is a pretty rare item - Framus Strato Melody) I don't recognize the bass. I bought the items because of the guitar.

So maybe someone here can help me recognize the bass. As the items are on the way I only have these low quality pictures. I am really eager to know what exactly did I buy :)

It is clear that it was made in Japan. I spent a lot of time browsing the net but nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    It looks like a late 60's build. Matsumoku factory (they all had that "Steel Reinforced Neck" neck plate). They released the same basses under whatever name you wanted if you ordered enough of them, so I couldn't tell you what the brand is.

3. RTVRS

RTVRS

Aug 19, 2021
    Yeah! That could be the case. Just seems strange that I haven't come across this logo anywhere before. And I browse gear a lot :D

DJ Bebop and JimmyM like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I thought that logo was homemade. It's not?

5. RTVRS

RTVRS

Aug 19, 2021
    I don't believe it is homemade but it could be though. I will post update info here when I receive the instrument.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well Matsumoku put out some pretty cool stuff in their day. Might turn out to have a very cool vibe.

fleabitten and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. Reminds me of some of the Univox branded instruments. I have a Univox guitar (335 copy) and a Univox bass ( P bass copy ) that have that same "steel reinforced neck" plate on the back. I suspect JimmyM is correct about its origins. Both my instruments play well and sound good, and reflect the good quality of the MIJ gear from that era.

Thump on,

One_Dude

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Like @JimmyM says, typical Matsumoku.

You know how you can order jackets, ball caps, water bottles, etc. And put your logo on them?

Same thing with Matsumoku except with guitars. For a minimum order you could put any name on it you wanted.

Cue pic of JimmyM’s cool “Realistic” Violin Bass. (I think I remember it being a “Realistic” brand… ie.: Radio Shack.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  9. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    One of thousands. The brand names don't matter, they were all built in the same factory. Used to see literally piles of these guitars in junk shops in Japan for $50 in the 90s.
    Similar to this one branded Tempo
    1970-tempo-matsumoku-bass-sunburst-1-QDow4rL.jpg

and this one branded Mayfair
    c53814a7977bb5289498b8446776f90f.jpg

iiipopes likes this.
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If I had only picked all of them up for $50, so I could sell them for $300+ now!

11. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    I have one branded Tiempo. 60's Japanese piece of junk....but it sounds awesome and unique.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. I had one, it brought a nice Ricky tone with rounds.

coy garcia likes this.
  13. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    That is a good description of the tone.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. RTVRS

RTVRS

Aug 19, 2021
    Ok. Thanks guys! I will get back here with more information about this particular bass when I will receive it and have tried it out.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022