help...SARBI into Adiophile2496

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Charred, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    OK, I have all the pieces I need (I think) to begin my home recording project!. As a bass player first, I write my music on bass, and so would like to record bass first into Cakewalk HomeStudioXL.
    I record OUT of my Tech21 RBI INTO my 2496.
    First set of questions...
    * Am I correct in asuming to use a XLR to single RCA cable as the connection cable?. My 2496 has 2 RCA inputs for stereo use, but as my RBI out will be mono only(?), I only need to go into ONE of the RCA in jacks on my 2496(lets say LEFT jack). I can then use the RIGHT jack as a simultanious IN from an SM57 mike on my bass cab?!
    This will NOT be stereo but will give me 2 separate channels of bass recorded in the same take, to mix to taste upon sending (somehow :help: ) into HomeStudio for mixing/effects etc.?
    I will be asking questions here weekly until I get the hang of this as I am VERY dtermined to accomplish my chosen task, of recording my originals. I will be performing the bass, guitar and vocals. Drums will be from DOD loops. And perhaps keys/synth added as well.
    Thanks in advance for any help recieved along the way. This Forum is invaluable and has become a part of my daily routine :hyper:
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I believe you assume correctly (though you posted this a couple weeks ago so you've probably figured it out already). ;)

I use an Audiophile 2496 card as well. The left and right channels are indeed just two discreet channels and you can pick and choose from them however you want in your recording application. You should be able to do what you're describing. (Put the RBI on the right channel and the mike on the left, and enable recording on two different tracks in Cakewalk, and choose the recording inputs accordingly).