1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help..... SRF705 preamp toast?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hunter34, Dec 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hunter34

Hunter34

Nov 30, 2017
    Ibanez SRF705 fretless with piezo and a pair of Bart MkI for input.

I had a nasty hum/buzz when I mixed in the Barts (either one) that was directly attributable to the treble pot. Full treble equals nasty hum/buzz. No treble equals no hum/buzz.

I re-soldered the tabs on the treble pot to no avail. I could get it to go away slightly by repositioning the wires leading to the circuit board. I had this great idea to desolder the white plastic header and solder the wires directly to the board to make sure I had good solid connections. The problem is... I can't get the solder to stick to anything from the underside of the board as it appears that there is no metal on the back of the board for the solder to melt to. It's just the epoxy board. I see a trace on the back of the board to the middle wire, so I'm thinking this should be a double-sided PCB.

My iron was set to 400C, and I backed it off to 350C, but that didn't solve the issue. I thought I'd better stop while I'm ahead (the piezo still works!) and ask for advice.

Also, I noticed there was a change in parts between the 2014-early 2017 models and the later 2017 models. (search for srf705 at Ibanez parts catalog ) How would I get these parts if I need them?

And if I DO need to buy a new preamp, am I stuck with the Ibby due to the piezo/active combo?

2. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Bartolini makes some preamps with the ability to add piezo handling, I think. I replaced my pickups with the USA Bart MKs and a Bart pre, but just left the piezo disconnected as I don't like it. I understand that most owners want to keep the piezo, though, and I think you can get there with Bartolini. Emphasis on "think," as I've only browsed their piezo products, not tried this myself. Good luck!

3. Inara

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
  4. Hunter34

Hunter34

Nov 30, 2017
    Interesting. If I look at https://www.bartolini.net/docs/Electronics/Buffers/MPB2-918 Instruction.pdf , it suggests that I could use the MPB2-918 in conjunction with an NTMB+F. I’d still have 6 knobs, so no new holes or wasted holes.

The only downside I can see from the MPB2/NTMB combo is that I’d give up the three pickup volume controls and would need to open the electronics bay to adjust the blend between the piezo and magnetics. That might not be a bad thing. I don’t know. How often would one adjust the relationship between neck/bridge/piezo vs adjusting bass/mid/treble?

5. Inara

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Hmmm I would want to be able to control it without getting inside the control cavity, personally. I think they are just using the NTMB as an example ... I would think that you could pick one of the 2 band preamps, or maybe one of the 3 band ones with a stacked knob, and then be able to keep a dedicated volume for the piezo. Either three independent volumes like stock, or magnetic volume and blend combined with a piezo volume.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021