Help! Stripped Straplock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OrionManMatt, Feb 24, 2004.

1. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Right during the toughest piece of our 3rd song, bam, it happened. So...

What do I do?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    How is it stripped out? Did the screw strip out the wood? If so, I find toothpicks and wood glue to fill it, then reinstall the straplock.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Toothpicks and glue works as mentioned above, or you could insert a dowel rod of the appropriate size into the hole, and re-drill and re-mount.
  4. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Thanks. That's what I've heard but I didn't want to do something stupid. :D
  5. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    tooth picks and glue work great....but heres a question what happens when the toothe picks and glue get stripped...time for more toothpicks?
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Exactly. The wood glue helps the toothpicks hold together.
  7. I have done the Toothpick and woodglue trick and worked great.....I did it back in 96 and it is still Holdin up today.. :)
  8. I had a bass that I used toothpics alone (no glue), actually they weren't just toothpicks, they were the toothpick umbrellas. Everything's got it's story.

Anyway, the umbrella toothpicks came out and I plugged the hole with slivers from drumsticks from the sawmill, I mean the drummer that shared a studio with us...

It's since been glued.
  9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Why not just squirt in some liquid nails. Just dip your screw into the nails, coating it all over, and screw it back in. Once it dries, it wil be in there really well. It might not come out to well, but it wil lbe in tehre.