1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help, Thumb BO: differences between MEC active pick ups vs MEC passive pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by magrinibass, Dec 18, 2017.

1. magrinibass

magrinibass

Dec 2, 2017
    Argentina
    Hello everyone. I have a thumb BO 5s. from 1998. this bass comes with active Pups Mec and activates MEC 2 Band Electronic. interestingly there is a difference in the current manufacture of the Thumb Bo between the Masterbuilt and German pro (Teambuilt):

Warwick Teambuilt Pricing January 1, 2017 says: Active J / J MEC Active 2-Way MEC.

Warwick Masterbuilt Pricing January 1, 2017 says: Passive J / J MEC Active 2-Band MEC.

I always use my thumb in passive mode, in my opinion the tone is much richer and more pleasant than in active mode.

from here my doubt to change to the passive MEC pups that bring the masterbuilt.

Did someone make this change?
    what differences in the sound can comment between: the passive mode with active MECs and the passive MEC of masterbuilt (not the old passive mec silver dynamic correction)

I would really appreciate any experience about this

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I bought a Warwick BO in 2016 and the pickup are passive since there is a passive option and it sounds super nice to me.

3. magrinibass

magrinibass

Dec 2, 2017
    Argentina
    thanks clef and thanks for the videos, your bass is a thmb of 6 has pups sop bar not jj, and is an interesting pro-siries that comes with passive pups.

4. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Depends on which factory installed passive pickups you are reffing to.
    You are in Argentina, so your market got it's own LE's with barts.
    I think the Tiger model got Barts and piezo, which sounds awesome.

I've seen Duncans in various factory and LE basses since the 1991 / 1992.
    Nordstrands have been in LE's recently, I have a set I use passive mostly.

EMGs, Barts, and SD had been factory installed until BO's first appeared in 1991, that's when you started seeing MEC pickups as OEM, then the NT's carried thru with whatever pickups they could get until they went all MEC in that line as well.

Older Thumbs with 18v 3-band preamps and EMGs were killer, some guys preferred Barts, I remember trying to get them to swap pickups for me from one bass to another bc the Thumb I liked best had the electronics I liked least.