Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help w/ cab search: EA vs. Raezer's Edge

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lcook, Jul 5, 2004.

1. lcook

lcook

Mar 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey everyone, I am needing some help with my search for new gear. I have an old Juzek URB with an Underwood pickup, and have decided to purchase the Acoustic Image Clarus head. I've narrowed the search for speakers down to the EA CXL-112 or the Raezer's Edge Bass 12. The problem is, there are no dealers of either in my area. I was wondering if anyone has heard these two back to back, or if anyone has any helpful comments about either cab, or thinks of a cab in this price range that I may have overlooked. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

--Larry

2. I have a Raezer's Edge Bass 10 which I use with an AI Clarus 1 (one of the earliest) and I think it sounds good, it's very easy to carry around and it's well-made. I also have an EA iAMP 350 which I drive into an EA CXL-112, which is much heavier (both amp and cab) than the AI/Raezer's Edge set-up, but is great for the gigs where I need more volume (occasionally). The sound of the EA is very clean and uncoloured, and it has more equalisation controls and pre-sets on the amp. The quality of the workmanship is pretty good on both set ups. The strings and pickup combination are going to make a difference to the sound also (FWIW I have Pirastro Obligatos on one of my basses, and La Bella 7710s on the other; both basses use the Fishman Full-Circle pick-up). I always put the speaker on a stand or chair in order to get it off the ground. YMMV

Hope this helps -
    - Wil

3. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    You should give a try to the EA Wizzy, i own one that i use with an iamp 500 and just love it, portable(29 pounds) with a very tight sound and sweet highs,you just wont believe the amount of sound that this box delivers, as a single cab option, i cant think of a better cab, besides that its a 4 ohm cab which i think it will be a much better deal if you use a clarus, it will give you 200 w instead of the 120w ( i think) that it puts at 8 ohms.
    I bought my rig "blind", since here in Switzerland theres no EA dealers, i ordered from Bob Gollihur and i got it in one week...
    Im really happy with it, light, great tone..
    Good luck.

NUNO

p.s. this is my 3rd post in these last days that im talking about the Wizzy, i dont have any affiliation in any way or work for EA, im just a happy costumer...

4. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'd like to hear more about the raezer's edge too. Anyone?

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think the Raezer's edge cabinets are very good. But I have yet to hear anything that can touch the EA VL208 for DB. While they are discontinued, they can still be found used from time to time.

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've got a Raezer's Edge twin 8T which I like because it is 4 ohm and draws more power from my Clarus, but I mainly use it for EUB and not for upright much. They are very good cabs but AB'd against the EA VL series (208 or 110) EA still sounds better to my ears, more transparent and open. But I have not tried a RE 112. There are a couple of used EAVL110s on sale in coolbasses.com under cabinets.

7. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    sounds like the EA stuff is the preferred stuff . . . i'm thinking of ordering a wizzy to check it out.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've yet to find an EA owner who doesn't really love the stuff. Enough so that I ordered an iAMP 800 Combo from Bob G.

9. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    well, for the record, i did own an iamp 300, which was great, until i got my glockenklang soul top . . . so i think there's a better amp out there. If you like the EA sound, you'd like the glock even more, unfortunetely, it's a bit expensive.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own a number of EA cabs, as well as a Raezer's Edge Bass 10. The Bass 10 is very much a midrange cab, but almost to the exclusion of other frequencies. It sounds boxy in comparison to my EA cabs. That said, after you play on it for a while, and get used to its sound, you can hear what you are playing quite well. For certain instruments, I can see where the Bass 10 would speak very well. While I have not heard one, I would suppose that the Bass 10 and a Bass 12 together would be a very good match.

As mentioned above, though, EA is tough to beat. They really do point out the shortcomings of the Raezer's Edge cab. I strongly prefer either the VL-110, VL-208, or Wizzy to the Bass 10. The EA cabs are much more clear and accurate, and have better, stronger, deeper, more articulate lows. The high end on the VL series is not harsh at all, nor is the Wizzy. I have heard, however, of some folks not caring for the more aggressive high end of the CxL series. Of course, this is why you have attenuators on tweeters. If you can't tell, my recommendation is to go with an EA cab. The Wizzy is a marvel, but the VL-series (especially if you use two or more of them) are my fave.

I must say, however, that both EA and Rich Raezer are absolutely top notch and a pleasure to deal with.

Tom.