1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with a logo...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ray Holt, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Hey guys. Not sure if this should go here, I posted it originally in Off-Topic, and maybe this is a bit too ON topic. I'll soon be starting my first guitar build (next week hopefully). I know it's not a bass, but the bass will be second!

Well, I was trying to think of what I could do for a logo to go on the headstock. I decided I wanted to do something with just my last name (as many do). My last name is Holt. I was thinking either the whole name or just a cool H would be good. I came up with the idea of using two bass clefs to make the H, like in the attachment.

So what I'm throwing out there, is if any of you guys would like to mess around with it, or just give your opinions, please do! Maybe refine the bass clef idea, or do something totally different. Just throwing it out there!

Thanks a lot,
    Ray

2. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Your last name is Holt?

I love it!

3. Hah, well this may seem silly, but may I ask why sir?

4. Diggin it...

I wish i could come up with a design that simple for my name... Bloch... pronounced block... first name john... Something with a jb.. ah heck anyways...

it might look cool if you had the dots on the cleffs for the bass... not so sure about the guitar..

but I actually like it alot the way it is, nice and simple will do the trick!

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I think it's a great idea.
    Unfortunately, I'm not literate at programs that would enable me to tweak the design for ya, so can't help you there.
    I'm totally struggling with coming up for a name for my instruments. My last name is too damn long, and I don't really like the idea of my initials (JSP) anymore. AND there's already a JP basses, so that's out of the question. Been thinking about it for a long time, and to no avail.

Your idea seems great though. Simple, yet it's symbolic of more than one thing.
    :smug:

6. I thought of something doing with my first name too... RH, or something like it... but I like the idea of just Holt or H better.

7. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    'Cause it looks like an H!

8. Ah I'm sorry I must've misunderstood your first post. I thought you were saying you loved the last name... not the logo. Excuse me.

I thought the design using two bass clefs would be especially appropriate on the bass that I build!

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd like to see it with two dots placed between the F clefs. Implying rather than expressing the bar of the H.

Of course, it could end up looking better just the way it is.

10. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    so throw yourself a little dash inbetween the two cleffs and you have an h

11. Well I just played with the idea of 2 dots in there... I'm not a pro with this program either (Photoshop...there's so much stuff!!!!) but I tried doing it. I could move the F lookin parts closer to the dots in the final of course... but here's an idea of what it might look like.

What do ya think? Even without the dots I think the first design makes a pretty good H... this one looks pretty cool too!!!

And yeah, I had (and I'm having!) a hard time with a logo... I hope I'm getting somewhere though!

(I think I like the first one better)

Attached Files:

12. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Presentation2.

:bassist:

13. OoOoOoOo

Thank you very much for your contribution!!! It gives me some good ideas :D

Thanks again!!!!!!

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You could take Greenman's, maybe shift the "olt" a bit, and change the single bar to five lines, like a staff.

You could take Holt's w/dots and rotate it, to this:

Attached Files:

15. Here's the original idea, but with the clefs right next to each other to make a better H. All of the other ideas have been great, but for some reason the simplicity of that first one really gets me.

Attached Files:

16. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I agree, except that I think I prefer the first one you posted, with a little space between the clefs. Can you put them side-by-side, with some space between?

You probably want to do a search in the trademark section of the uspto.gov site, to see whether this has been done before. It would suck if you used it on your first dozen instruments, and then were forced to discontinue use.

17. You're right a little space is good... how about this one?

And thanks, I was wondering how to check if it's been done before! It would suck if it's been used already but... lets hope for the best.

Attached Files:

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I like that. The thumbnail, on my screen, is about the size I imagine it might appear on a headstock, and gets a thumbs up from me! If you plan for it to be smaller, though, you need to draw it at that size, as you might need to increase the space between the clefs, as well as the stroke weight at the thin ends, to acheive the same effect.

19. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Just for kicks, what do you think of this:

Attached Files:

20. Hmmm that actually looks pretty darn good too! Wouldn't have thought of putting the dots there!

Well, I'm off to shoot some pool for now... thanks a lot for alll your ideas and help :)