Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with a U.S. Small Stone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wiljo, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Wiljo

Wiljo

May 19, 2004
    Finland
    Hi guys. My EHX Small Stone phaser (U.S.model) has some problemos and I was wondering if any of you would be able to help me out. There are two wires, a red one and a black one connected to the battery "pin". The black one came loose but the pedal still worked if I'd stuck the wire between the "pin" and the battery. Now the red one's also come loose (great quality :rolleyes: ). I also have an adapter for the pedal but everytime I turn the effect on, no sound is coming through. The signal bypasses the pedal normally but as soon as I hit the footswitch, it's almost like there's a mute inside the pedal engaged. I've tried different batteries, cords, and adapters to no avail. I'm pretty clueless about electronical stuff so all help is greatly appriciated. Thanks to all in advance!

Wiljo

2. There are some great diagrams of offboard wiring schemes at tonepad showing the power connections. Take a look at #5...
    http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=76

I've also got some pics of the inside of a USA Small Stone on my web site...
    http://www.moosapotamus.com/frankenstone/frankenstone.htm
    I did some modifications to the circuit, including replacing the goofy power jack with a standard boss-style jack. But, you should be able to make out the battery & power connections.

~ Charlie

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What exactly do you mean by battery pins? Do you have any pictures?

Sorry, but without a bit more detail, I'm not sure where to start.

4. Wiljo

Wiljo

May 19, 2004
    Finland
    Sorry about my vague description, was in a bit of a hurry :) . What I meant by the "pin" was the flat object with two holes that the battery attaches to. Both of the wires have now come loose. I don't have an "official" EHX adapter for the Small Stone but I tried it with a 9-volt adapter with a matching plug and allthough the pedal switches on normally (led bright etc), there's no sound coming through. I could always try to solder (although don't know how to :rolleyes: ) the two wires to the "pin" but am I wrong to assume that although the wires are not attached, the pedal should work normally with the adapter?

Thanks a lot to moosapotamus for the pics! The "pin" I'm talking about can be seen in the third pic in moosapotamus's homepage, at the bottom right corner. Those pics are very usefull, my only problem is that I don't have an Internet connection at home and therefore I'll have to bring the Small Stone with me to the University. That's why it also takes me so long to respond. No pics at the moment, my girlfriend's in Paris and she's taken our digi cam with her :bawl: .

Sorry again for the lack of details in my posts, it's hard to describe pedal stuff in a foreign language for the first time :) . Thanks again for all your help!

Wiljo

5. Wiljo

Wiljo

May 19, 2004
    Finland
    Hi guys! Anybody able to provide some more tips? All the help towards making this pedal work again is much appriciated.

Wiljo

6. What things have you tried doing so far?

~ Charlie

7. Wiljo

Wiljo

May 19, 2004
    Finland
    I haven't been able to do much because of lack of equpement & other chores. A friend is finally lending me a soldering kit and I'm going to try and solder the red & black battery wires to the "pin" and see if it's as simple as that. Maybe the pedal didn't work with the no-name adapter because it wasn't the official EHX one. It did have the right kind of plug for the pedal and the led came on but alas, no sound.

Wiljo

8. Be careful to get the polarity right when you reconnect the power. You don't need an official EHX power supply. A standard 9VDC wall wart will work fine as long as the plug fits the jack and the polarity is right.

In case you don't have it already, here's a pretty good reference schematic that should match the newer reissue USA Small Stone...

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/smallssc.gif

~ Charlie