Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with behringer 4x10BA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stiff, Apr 8, 2005.

1. stiff

stiff

Feb 9, 2005
    Caldwell Texas
    Ok i did a search on this and pulled up some stuff but nothing that helped me out a whole lot...

anyways, i recently got a Behringer 4x10 BA (the aluminum cone version) and I played a show with it like the day after i got it and it souned horrible (I know behringer doesnt have the best name but still) my tone was very distorted and crackly sounding. I checked batteries, adjusted EQ. changed cables, did everything but try a new head. The cab is supposedly rated at 1000w and i was running it with a crate 200BX (200w) with the gain at about half and volume at around 1' o clock, I wasnt clipping or anything.. and i know the speakers arent blown because they hit fine they just sound bad. So could it be voice coils or sumthin? or could my head have sumthin to do with it??? please help :bawl:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Take your head to a shop that sells the cabinet(along with some other brands) and play it through their floor model. If it sounds OK, you probably got a defective cabinet. If it sounds the same as your cabinet, try your head through another brand cabinet. If it sounds OK, then the cabinet may not be a good match for your head.

If your cabinet is defective, take it back where you bought it, and demand a refund or exchange.

3. How is your EQ set?
    Does the cab have a horn control and if so how was it set?
    What kind of sound are you going for?
    Have you used the head with any other cabs, and if so was the sound to your liking?
    I'm not familiar with your bass. If it is active and the pre is really hot, it could cause preamp clipping in the head, a problem turning down the gain should fix.

Lastly, does the place you bought it from have a return policy?

4. stiff

stiff

Feb 9, 2005
    Caldwell Texas
    I Had my EQ Set flat, my head has a low boost and a high boost and i had both of those cut off. My bass is active and has fresh batteries and i set all the pre-amp settings on it to the middle (Bass Cut/ Treble Cut). I ordered it off musicians friend so I would rather not have to ship it back. I contacted behringer and asked if i could take it to a shop that was a behringer dealer and get it covered but i havnt gotten a reply from them yet. But im going to do what embellisher said and take it to the local music store and try it out. The head is pretty old so I'm hoping that its messed up, but then again im prolly just gonna get a refund on the cab and maybe buy and avatar or save up for and Ampeg BSE 4x10 like i had originally planned.... o well..