Help With dicision for pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Benji5678, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Benji5678

Jan 5, 2006
    i own a p-bass and i have the emg p installed in it it sounds great but it is not really the sound i need for the music i play, i play alot of heavy slap and funky stuff. i was thinking about geting one of their j-bass bridge pickups but i was wondering about how i would install it. I could bring it to my local music store and have them cut out the spot for the pickup but im sure that would cost quite a bit. i was wondering if you could mount the pickup directly to the body withought much modification.
    any help would be apreciated.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I have done some pretty strange things to make due for a pup run. I would say with about 95% probability that mounting a J pup to the face is not an option. For starters, you'd have to do the same to the P or you're going to have 3/4" (thickness of a typical J) plus difference in the height from the strings between the two pups - and you're strings would probably be about 1/2" from the fingerboard.

Do a search and see what if other guys have used the EMG P for slap/funk. I've had lots of active EMG PJ's. I'm a bridge guy but I don't recall the P being any different regarding the tonal range than the J - in the sense of a good solid frequency mix across the spectrum. What I have found with EMG's is that overall a preamp really takes them to another level. I especially like the EMG BTC with them cause it's a drop in alteration and simple effective control - also has dip knee frequency adjustments for treble which may be just the ticket for fine tuning that slap tone. Used they use to typically go for $50 - not much more than what you'd pay for a J pup. Haven't used onboard preamps in a year so don't know if that's changed.

Obviously don't overlook a presence or contour control on your amp if you've got one.

I assume you're lacking top end but you didn't say what was lacking in the tone that you're looking for.