Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help With dicision for pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Benji5678, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Benji5678

Benji5678

Jan 5, 2006
    Maine
    i own a p-bass and i have the emg p installed in it it sounds great but it is not really the sound i need for the music i play, i play alot of heavy slap and funky stuff. i was thinking about geting one of their j-bass bridge pickups but i was wondering about how i would install it. I could bring it to my local music store and have them cut out the spot for the pickup but im sure that would cost quite a bit. i was wondering if you could mount the pickup directly to the body withought much modification.
    any help would be apreciated.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I have done some pretty strange things to make due for a pup run. I would say with about 95% probability that mounting a J pup to the face is not an option. For starters, you'd have to do the same to the P or you're going to have 3/4" (thickness of a typical J) plus difference in the height from the strings between the two pups - and you're strings would probably be about 1/2" from the fingerboard.

Do a search and see what if other guys have used the EMG P for slap/funk. I've had lots of active EMG PJ's. I'm a bridge guy but I don't recall the P being any different regarding the tonal range than the J - in the sense of a good solid frequency mix across the spectrum. What I have found with EMG's is that overall a preamp really takes them to another level. I especially like the EMG BTC with them cause it's a drop in alteration and simple effective control - also has dip knee frequency adjustments for treble which may be just the ticket for fine tuning that slap tone. Used they use to typically go for $50 - not much more than what you'd pay for a J pup. Haven't used onboard preamps in a year so don't know if that's changed.

Obviously don't overlook a presence or contour control on your amp if you've got one.

I assume you're lacking top end but you didn't say what was lacking in the tone that you're looking for.