1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with dodgy strap pegs....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ExoticBehemoth, Feb 21, 2008.

1. ExoticBehemoth

ExoticBehemoth

Jan 26, 2008
    Surrey, UK
    I got my Yamaha RBX6 secondhand and the previous owner removed the standard pegs and put Schaller Straplock buttons on it.
    I hate them with a passion. the metal bits don't fit on a decent thick leather strap and always look like they will scratch my bass, the pegs are useless for ordinary straps... I have a couple of locking straps I have to use.
    On top of this the top peg needs tightening with a screwdriver everytime I use it so I currently can't gig with it.

So two questions, are strap buttons/pegs and screws sa standard size in terms of going back to an original peg.. and what do I do about the stripped thread. I thought of superglue but that seems very permanent. If I try and use biggers screws would that be a problem>

Thanks for your help.

2. Arduy

Arduy

Jan 19, 2008
    Hi ExoticBehemoth, if the holes made by the strap pegs you want to change are too large for the original screws you have to make a repair by fixing the damaged part.
    I would fill the holes with glued in wood (a toothpick or similar), then after waiting until the glue has fastened I would drill a hole about as long as the new screw and half of it's width, and then put the new strap pegs on. They should hold. Take this as a personal unpretending opinion.

3. ExoticBehemoth

ExoticBehemoth

Jan 26, 2008
    Surrey, UK
    Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of putting wood in.... even if I would do something similiar in DIY terms...

Thanks

4. Arduy

Arduy

Jan 19, 2008
    Sorry to bother you, but I'm not English nor American, and I do not understand the "DIY" acronim (DIY terms) that you wrote. I didn't find it on the talkbass' acronim list either. Please, could you be so kind to tell me what it means?

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Do It Yourself :)

6. Arduy

Arduy

Jan 19, 2008
    Thanks Buskman, I'll remember that one.

7. damianerskine

damianerskine

Jun 15, 2005
    Portland, or
    Endorsing artist: Skjold basses,Zon basses,Aguilar,D'Addario,GruvGear
  8. I've always put in the glue and toothpick (two if necessary) and put in the screw right away, no drying and redrilling. It's always worked well for me. I suppose superglue might make it impossible to remove the screw later, but it's no problem with wood glue. It seems to me that felt washers and a slightly loose or stripped screw combine to make the button come loose when it's moved by the strap. I'm getting rid of the washers as time goes on and it seems to be helping.

9. ExoticBehemoth

ExoticBehemoth

Jan 26, 2008
    Surrey, UK
    Sorry for the acronym...

I have ordered some of the dunlop sets for most of my bases, but not the flush ones as I hate the thought of not being able to use an ordinary strap in an emergency.
    I did wonder about removing the felt but then thought it might damage the bass, but then on refelection that being a bit to precious about things really, after all it's no good looking great if you can't play the thing!

Thanks for your advice guys..