Help with eq and compression on drum and bass tracks.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Marvinisbass, Dec 21, 2005.

1. I am mastering one track with bass that went in with a DI and 6 tracks of drums that each had mics- One for the kick drum, one for the snare, one for the rack tom, one for the floor tom, and two overhead mics to get the cymbals. My recorder is the Korg D3200 (on the cover of this months RECORDING MAGAZINE) that has four bands of parametric eq per track, four bands of parametric eq for the master, and compresion with variable ratio, attack, threshhold, release and gain on up to eight tracks as insert effects plus the possibility of compression as one of the two master effects on the mixdown track. Please give some help getting started with these two areas of recording. Also, if you know of any good books about recording in general please tell me about them.
  2. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    MULTI-band compressors are your friend! They'll split that bass into high, mid and low freqs to let it really sit in the mix properly. How you eq (if you need eq) really depends on the individual recording, and except for pointing you in the direction of a book, can't point out specific freq's without hearing the tracks.

If you need a book to get started, try Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies.

The writer in general provides good knowledge, and is fairly accurate with eq changes for different instruments. There is ready made information on the internet if you do a little digging, such as frequency charts of instruments including there fundamental regions.

FWIW, I have been a user of the Korg D series for a number of years, and currrently have a 1600 mkII. Pretty easy interface once you know your way around. Good Stuff indeed. I don't use it much anymore except to record tracks in the field, as I mixdown in the PC these days.
  3. AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005
    For the bass just a standard is to role off at 80Hz about 6dB, use about 4:1 compression with 0ms attack and a threshold around 23 - 24 dB but that varies. I use these parameters on most all basses from P to Foderas as a base.
  4. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I find that if you boost the bass no more than 6db in the 400hz range and cut the kick drum in the exact same range both instruments will be more distinct and not muddy each other up.
  5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Very true... I'm an amateur myself, but gave the soundman for mastering some advice and the whole recording came alive instantly. Just don't forget the bass in the mid region (mid-low) and the rest in another region.

Good luck. :D