Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with gluing.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by oldasdirt, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Hello, nobee here but I have a serious question. I bought a Juzek bass a while back which needed some work. I took it too a well known luthier close to where I live. Here is the problem. It appears that the bass sat somewhere, before I bought it, and some kind of oily substance got on the bottom part of the bass. The luthier I took it too can not get the glue (hide) to hold around the end pin block and bottom of back and front of bass. He has tried everything he knows to do to remove this substance so the glue will hold but at this point nothing seems to work. Any one who might have any suggestions on this, please let me know. Thanks.
    :help:

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Nothing will work short of removing the top and back and neutralizing whatever that oily stuff is. It may even require removing some wood (to get past the oily stuff) and then patching the area. It sounds like the bass was left standing in some kind of spill. This is not going to be easy!

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ditto.. But depending on what it is that is preventing this you need some type of solvent to nutreulize the affected area besides scraping some surface wood on the inside of the Bass. Also, remember that "new glue will NOT stick to old glue". The surfaces must be cleaned and free from dirt, grease, oils and chemicals to Gule again..