Help with lesson...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fkatzenb, Apr 5, 2005.

1. My teacher gave me some stuff to do, and the creative juices just aren't flowing for this... let me explain. He gave me a hand written copy of Killer Joe to learn - included both the tab and the main chords. Got that down - love that song. He also asked me to rewrite the bass line! I can't get anything that sounds remotely good and flows because that song is stuck in my head. I know my main chord patterns, my 5ths, and a little chord subsitution. But in general, there is only so many patterns that flows from note to note on that song.

If some one could just suggest a pattern or two for the opening two chords, I would see a style and can run with it. What do you think?

I appreciate any and all help!

2. still trying... between limited knowledge of jazz and being anal, everything thing i try sounds like hell. :bassist: of course this is why i am taking lessons.

3. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Frank, all I can do is empathize. I can offer two comments:

1. Jazz bass lines that sound good are much harder to do than they sound like they aughta be, at least for me, a relative beginner too. After actually trying to get this style under my fingers for a while, I have nothing but respect for the players who have got it.

2. Almost all jazz bass lines sound awful and boring when not played in the context of the band. A bass player who can swing like mad all by him/herself has got it twice over.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    For simplicity's sake, all 1/4 notes(you can add ghosted notes as you feel 'em)-

lC_F#_G_C_lBb_A_Bb_B_lC_F#_G_B_lBb_F#_G_Db_l etc

Bar 1-
    Use "C" on the A"
    "F#" & "G" on the "D"

Bar 2-
    All played on the "A"(use Open "A")

Bar 3
    "C" on "A"
    "F#" & "G" on "D"
    "B" on "G"

Bar 4
    "Bb" on "G"
    "F#" & "G" on "D"
    "Db" on "A"

You can also change the feel to, say, a Latin thing-

Bar 1-
    Play "C" on "A"..."C" is a DOTTED 1/4 note(value = 1 beat + 1/2)
    Play "G" on "D"..."G" is a DOTTED 1/4 note(value = 1 beat + 1/2)
    Play "Bb" on the "G"..."Bb" is TIED ACROSS the BAR LINE.
    NOTE: The Bb is played on the "& of 4"...the chord change, therefore, is ANTICIPATED. Let this note RING until Beat 3 of Bar 2's "F" note.

Bar 2-
    Both notes played on the "D" string.
    You could also "F#" in lieu of the "F".

You could also think about changing the in 3/4?
    lC_B_F_lBb_B_G_l etc
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Good post Jim- I don't think many of us are quite so dedicated. I don't even know the song myself, so I can't be of much help. ;)
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    12-bar Blues
    Benny Golson's "Killer Joe"
    Miles' "So What"

...3 tunes that everybody learns to walk on.
  7. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    was the tab the recorded bass part? if so, maybe learning the melody might help inspire you to come with your own part... it can't hurt anyway, especially if you're gonna solo over it.
  8. Thanks all for your help. It went smooth at the lesson. Some of your ideas helped me some, however my busy work schedule kept me from going further then the first section. It was fine, as my teacher understands. He also understoon somethings about me and showed me some more guidelines and pattern ideas that really made a difference. Now I think I can do the song no problem.