help with Mesa Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by socalpyropunk, Aug 1, 2004.

1. alright heres the deal. I can get a good deal on mesa cabs and will most likely be choosing one for my next cab(needed badly)
    my SVT 410 doesn't cut it anymore. for some gigs I use one of my managers old style Road Ready 1000 cabs. I love that thing. super punchy, clear highs, and huge lows. only problem is that its WAYY heavy.

I think for $$ reasons I'll be getting a powerhouse cab(s)instead of the RR. I knopw the new designs are lighter than the old but just wondering how much lighter a new powerhouse 1000 would be compared to an old RR 1000.

also considering my bands style, fast punk, anti-flag, pennywise style what cab or cab combo would you choose.

I will be building my rack setup soon: wireless > tuner > BBE B-Max > RMX 1450 if that helps any

Just thought of a few other things. how do the newer cabs compare to the older(blacksquare grill) in sound. also do the new cabs have speakon connections on the back cause the old one doesn't.
    my band will probably be running two Mesa Stiletto halfstalks shortly and I need something that can keep up, outdoors too.
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
  3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm where you are at, except I won't be buying the cabs anytime soon.

My rig:
    Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600
    Ampeg SVT-410HE
    Ampeg SVT-115E

I think I want to get the Powerhouse 1000 or the Powerhouse 8x10, I've never seen the 810 so I can't decide :/.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Typically the new series cabs are about 15% lighter than the Diesel series. The RoadReady option makes them even heavier, but stiffer, which makes them sound a little tighter and punchier if you ask me. I generally prefer the old Deisel series over the Powerhouse, but they are both pretty kick ass. The Powerhouse 1000 is easily the most popular big cab we make - it's balanced, punchy, bassy, and LOUD. The Diesel version is generally a little bit more forward in the midrange, with a more focused low end, and faster response than the Powerhouse cabs. The Powerhouse have a little bit of a scooped (and warmer) midrange, more low end, and sweeter highs than the old cabs. I guess you could say that the old cabs RAWK, while the new cabs ROCK. ;) The brand new series Powerhouse cabs that we just released a week or two ago will have speakons, a rotary horn attenuator, and a selectable crossover network so you can customize how you want your cab to sound.

Judging by your requirements I think the 1000 is the way to go.

Is your band just now buying the Stilletos? If I could make a suggestion, I would get one Stilleto and one Dual Rec - they compliment each other very well, and would make both guitarist stand out from each other. Each would have their own sonic niche, which would allow you to hear each of them better, and expand the sound of your band overall.

Just let me know if you come up with any more questions. :)
  5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    (from the sidehatch) :bag:

What are the sound differences between the Stilleto and the Dual Rec? Curious as my rhythm guy wants to get a Dual Rec but I wanted to give him more options to choose from. Thanks! And sorry for asking...couldn't help it... :ninja:

6. thanksBen. especially on the guitar recomendation too. I'll let them know.
    my decision was prettymuch between the 6x10(or maybe 8x10) and the 1000. I've gigged with the deisel 1000 and loved it so I don't se a reason to change. Now I just gotta decide it if the extra $180 is worth it for me to get the Road Ready.

as for questions. how do the 6x10 and 8x10(never even seen one) compare to the power1000? and if possible compare to SWR 8x10.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The Stilleto is built and designed around EL34s, while the Dual Rec is designed around 6l6s. The Stilleto has a tighter, but not as deep, lowend, and is more sizzly and sharp sounding than the Dual Rec. The Dual is more chunky, with a slightly slower response and fuller lowend. The Stilleto was designed to be a counterpart to the Dual Rec.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The RoadReady can tighten up the sound a bit; many players say they prefer the sound of it, as it stiffens the whole cab and does change the sound a bit. Keep in mind it is heavier. :)

I think the 10s are punchier and faster than the power1000, but don't quite have the full lows and balance. The 1000 is our most popular big cab by a pretty wide margin. I can't really comment on the SWR, since it's been ages since I've played one. SWR makes great stuff overall, but it's a totally different sound than the Boogies. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.