Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with "so what" intro

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by captainnater4, Mar 31, 2005.

1. captainnater4

captainnater4

Mar 31, 2005
    could someone give me a link to the url mentioned in past posts about the intro to "so what" (bass and piano)
    or just tell me the notes?
    it'd save me a lot of time and i have a gig this weekend

thanks a bunch

2. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Are you talking about the bass line to the tune itself? Or the rubato-ish intro to the tune that's just bass and piano?

3. captainnater4

captainnater4

Mar 31, 2005
    yeah i was talking about the rubatoish part with the piano and bass, not the actual head.

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Chris or Sam - am I allowed to post here a scan of the first page of a transcription I have of the "So What" intro? it's from a copyrighted book

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Alexi,

I have no earthly idea, but my feeling from dealing with copying and distributing materials at the university is that it's probably better to be safe than sorry. If Sam or Jon or anyone else knows differently, then speak up! Probably best to deal with matters via email or PM on this one - but thank you for asking!

6. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Off topic - just slightly. The transcription I have calls for a low Eb toward the end of that section. Is that right? Anyone know how he did it? Just tuned his E string down or what?

7. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    "The transcription I have calls for a low Eb toward the end of that section. Is that right? Anyone know how he did it? Just tuned his E string down or what?"
    The original release of the record was a half-step flat due to a slow tape machine. Maybe that Eb is an artifact of this. I doubt he tuned down.

8. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting. Thanks. I'm glad I didn't make myself nuts over that Eb.

9. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    A. Meyer's right as far as I know. That's an open E string that sounds a half-step off because of the tape screw up. Playing along with old jazz recordings is the way to go, but, even though most aren't as screwed up as the original "Kind Of Blue," an A-440 tuning often fails to make it from session to master to vinyl (or CD).

10. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    The recent reissue of "Kind of Blue" has been restored to proper pitch...might be worth investing in.