Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with the stage show

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Aug 2, 2004.

1. I am in a rock band but not super heavy stuff and we need serious help with our stage show. We dont have much as far as lights. Our lead guitar player is stiff as a board on stage. We do have a box that the girls dance on. But thats about it. So tell me what does your band do to get the crowd more into the show. Or if you have any ideas let me know. Also think of good rock songs that make the crowds go nuts.

2. Violence is the answer. Get the singer to light things on fire and smash them over his bandmates while singing, stuff like that.

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    In my experience, the best answer, is a singer that can really connect with the audience. Above all else, that is what the audience notices. I play with one band that is great musically, but doesn't have a real charismatic front person - not very great reaction from random crowds. I play with another band that isn't as good musically, that absolutely rips up every venue we play because the singer gets the audience involved. She sings to specific people in the audience, she moves like she means it, and she gets people involved. When we start playing, people can't look away from her.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some advice;

#1 - Let our audience know you are there for them. Tell them how glad you are that they all turned out to hear you and that "we are here for you!!!!."

#2 - Don't dress like some kind of slouches. Wear clothes that the audience wishes they could wear at work. A dumbass GAP t-shirt and jeans just makes you look like a hoosier.

#3 - Come off the stage if it's low enough. It's cool to get down off the stage and look some of your audience members in the eye as your playing a simple line. I've even seen drunken chicks fall backwards off of their chairs when I've done this.

#4 - Song transisitions where you don't give the audience a chance to retreat to the bar or to go back to conversation at their tables is a winner.
    Once you finish a song, the vocalist shouts, "2-3-4!!!!" and you're off into the next song immediately. That keeps the audience involved in your music.
    Of course, it takes some preparation at rehearsal.

When all else fails, do what Iggy Stooge did - slice your chest open with broken glass and dive into the audience. :D