Help with what Key to play in

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DriveThruEmoKid, Oct 5, 2003.

1. I didnt know where to put this so i put it here..

My band wants to make an emotional, slow, depressing i guess you could say song, to dedicate to three of my good friends who were recently killed in a car crash.. I can't figure out what chords to use or even what key to play in, and am having a writers block.. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated..

PS. we play in Drop D and want this song to really hit you, if you know what i mean.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to General Instruction, where you'll more likely get results.

My take on it: Play in D Minor. It's the saddest of all keys.
  3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    ...with your amps at 11 :D
  4. i dont know anything about keys. but my advice is this: just play from the heart.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Drive Through, there is an article at a guitar web site that should be very helpful to you. It is tittled "Writing Better Songs: Minor Keys." I believe this article will answer most of your questions.

I hope this link will work. Watch out. There are many pop ups at this web site.
  6. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I agree about D Minor being a good key to play in. I also agree on playing from the heart, however.

It's a delicate area, writing songs for loved ones who have passed. IMO You could have a vast knowledge of theory, and yet, forget it all when your emotions take over. If that were me, I'd ride on those emotions after I've found my starter point.

Listen to some songs that would relate to what you're going through and analyze those, see what key those are in, etc.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd put strings in it. Strings can be effective.
  8. D-minor is pretty bood if yoy want a sad song althoug A-minor is just as good if not better in my opinion.

Use a lote of open strings in your picking and dont overplay the bassline, use long sustaining notes. Writing a sad slow song on bass is probably harder than writing a faster one since you have to pay more attention to what notes to use since they will be sounding longer.
  9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dont get it. There is no sonic difference between one minor key and another other than where the scale starts. Same intervals. Dm is the same as Cm but a whole step apart. Same with any scale. If overall pitch matters and lower seems more depressing then E minor is the way to go or on a 5 string use low B minor.
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Guess some folks here do not know the complete "Spinal Tap" script by heart. The advice given above to play in D minor and turn amps to 11 are taken right out of the quintessential rock satire "Spinal Tap." In other words, that advice is just a joke. Surprisingly, no one has suggested that the song be recorded and packaged with a solid black cover.:D :D
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Thank you, Bop. I didn't have the heart to tell him....
  12. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of 'woman-on-all-fours plus leash plus glove' kind of motif. Or possibly something to do with Stonehenge.<BR><BR><BR> :D

Make sure the Key is right for your vocals if you have lyrics!

;) Treena
  14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Indeed "Lick my love pump" is in D minor I believe :D

My advice would be to start simple, a simple two or three note riff - keep it slow and do just as stephanie says, just sit down on your own, play and see what comes out.

Sorry to hear about your friends. Personally, last time something tragic happened like that to someone in my life I couldnt play anything whatsoever to encapsulate my feelings. It tok me time to make sense (not that I ever did really) of it before I could play anything "sad" or "happy" as it happens.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know that tune, but I'm sure I'd recognise it if you hummed it!! ;)
  16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Bruce, that is aweful, you should be ashamed!
  17. Thanks guys, Im slowly working on putting stuff together.