Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by estesbass, Apr 28, 2005.

1. estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    this is terrible......i was cleaning my strings with rubbing alcohol, and the bottle spilled on the top of my bass. it reacted with the varnish and now it has formed a white paintlike substance that won't come off. is there any hope, or will i just have to get the bass revarnished?
  2. I can recall using isopropyl alcohol (the primary active ingredient in rubbing alcohol) as a solvent or thinner for shellac.
  3. It all depends on what type varnish your bass has. I see you have a Juzek....if you're lucky enough to have a French polish on it, it can be repaired really easily. As 151 says, alcohol is the solvent for shellac and French polish is shellac rubbed on with alcohol. This is a real art. You probably have the original Juzek varnish on it and you'll have to find out what exactly that is. How big is the spot or spots?
    I'm sure one of the luthiers will chime in. Also Ken Smith has alot of general knowledge about Juzeks......
    I'm praying to the BASS GODS for you. :bawl:
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You won't need to get the bass re-varnished, but you do need to get the bass into the hands of either a good luthier or a furniture/finish expert. (Spirit varnish is used in different trades, and if a luthier isn't available, a different industry tech might be of assistance.)

As a general $.02 to other TBers, this accident is why I suggest using OOOO Steel Wool to clean strings and fingerboards. I know this isn't very helpful to you, estesbass. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, G/L!