1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Here is an example of used prices around here

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
  2. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Where is "here"? Your link was not attached and you don't list your location in your personal profile.

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Well, you could move to Sweden. A rough estimate is to double your US prices to see what we pay for gear over here...
    The recently introduced Gretsch 5123 is currently about 14400 SEK including tax (street price.). That is $2000. :meh:
    gretsch 5123 - sökning på Prisjakt

4. Alberta Canada.

5. They do that a lot here too. I think he is trying to dissuade others from buying the bass separate.

6. Probably. You see a lot of that sort of thing on craigslist as well.

FWIW, there are a number of private sellers of eBay, craigs, Kijiji, etc., that overprice their used gear...so it's not just where you live.

7. I do it to an extent myself to give some negotiating room with the buyer.

8. I've scored some deals on Kijiji here in Nova Scotia. Tops would be an OLP 5 (flaky output jack) with nice gigbag for $80. Next would be an Epi Viola with Chromes (very high zero fret) for $150. On the other end I scored a sweet Dingwall at a price I was very happy with.

I think the key is to be patient and perhaps know enough 'mechanics' to determine what's easily repairable. Another factor is that some smaller music stores in decentralized locations sell things for more than high-volume, lower-overhead firms & that the inexperienced might not realize that.

9. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    No matter where you look (eBay, Craigslist, etc.) there are always going to be people who knowingly or unknowing overcharge for stuff they are selling. You just have to know better than the seller so you don't get burned.

10. 3rd Uncle

3rd Uncle

Jun 9, 2011
    Spain, and I believe the rest of Southern Europe, is the same. Not just for basses but for everything.

If something is nearly new then they'll knock 10% off the price! If it's a good few years old then about 25%! :D

Cash Converters next to my office is currently selling a beat up old Squier Affinity P-Bass with a neck like a Beyonce's hips for 180€!

Tends to be cheaper to buy secondhand things in the UK.

11. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    It' s always more expensive to buy in Canada than in the U.S.. I go across the border and buy there when I need something. There' s rarely super great deals in Canada in my experience.

Richie