1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Here is my Jimmy Page tribute.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tomhanzo, Dec 15, 2008.

1. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Ok this is only a photoshop pic i did (obviously).

mydreambass.

What do you guys think?

And i have a question. What kind of paint should i get to do the detail work? I plan on doing it witha brush, and i'm not sure what kind to get that wont run when i clear coat it.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I guess I'm not familiar enough with Jimmy Page to know why that dragon scene, or why on a bass. But I think it might look good with some consummate V's.

3. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Isn't that a reproduction of the painting he did on his Telecaster that Jeff Beck gave him? He used that Tele in the Yardbirds and early period Zeppelin, the first album or so. After that, more Les Paul. There's plenty of footage showing him with that guitar. I think he dusted off that guitar for the Stairway solo too, through an old Supro amp. I remember reading that in an interview. He said, "Its more of a fight with the Telecaster, but there are rewards".

That bass would be pretty cool.

4. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    The dragon was on the tele which he used up until the recording of heartbreaker (the solo was the first recorded incidence of him using a lp).
    jimmypage-yardbirds.

Cool idea but either a telebass or on a guitar would make more sense.

5. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    Black pickguard would look much nicer I think and more like the tele. Green + Red + Yellow + White = bleh, IMO.

6. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007

Maybe the first his recording a Les Paul with Zeppelin. Pretty sure he had a black Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby tailpiece from his studio days before Zep and the Yardbirds, that got stolen on an early Zep tour.

If you ever get the chance to see some old Rolling Stone mags from like, 1972 and 73, he advertised a reward in the classifieds to get that guitar back. It had a picture of him playing the guitar, but from the neck down. He didn't want people to know who was offering the reward, I guess. The guitar was never recovered.

7. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    cool to know. cheers. did he get it back?

8. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Nope, never did. Somewhere out there is a Les Paul Custom, stolen about 36 or 37 years ago from Jimmy Page.

Check out this link! Scroll down to see about the les Paul Custom, which he purchased in 1962. He used that guitar on numerous studio sessions I guess.

http://http://www.jimmypage.co.uk/equipment.htm

9. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    original
    [​IMG]
    I did not know about the les paul. some prick is playing it right now i bet. Yeah i know it would be better on a telebass and a different pickguard. I just have a pbass kit laying here and that pickguard. Why not try this?

So... back to OP. Whats a good paint to use with a brush that i can clear coat over?

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    wow - we are discussing Jimmy Page's electric guitar on a bass forum without even an acknowledgement or a hat tip toward JPJ

:crying:

it sure would be interesting to see how a JPJ bass discussion would fare over on one of the guitar forums ... sure hope you're wearing your zoomie suit cuz it's gonna get really, really warm

all the best,

R

11. + infinity on consummate v's

12. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Guy wouldn't know majesty if it came up and bit him in the face...;)

I think it's a cool idea, but I'd make it a black PG, personally. But if you like the look, go for it. It's you that will be playing and looking at it, not us :)

13. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    +1. That was my first thought - ixnay the white pickguard. Maybe black is the way to go.

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Since you ask... I think if you're a big Jimmy Page fan, go for it! - cool enough. But if you're a fan of dragon paintings on instruments, you might do better, depending on your level of artistic ability.

15. For detailed or small brushwork, I like to use enamel model airplane paint (Humbrol, but there are plenty of alternative brands).
    It comes in a huge range of colours, matt and gloss, and will take any lacquer finish I've ever tried.
    I also custom paint motorcycles and use it with an airbrush to great effect.

16. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Another take on Page's guitar.

Attached Files: