1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Here we go again, FCC selling wireless freqs used by mics

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by carl h., Mar 29, 2013.

1. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Having just negotiated the purchase of more than $2500 worth of wireless systems, which happen to operate in the 600MHz band, this is a very big problem.
    Replacing just 10+ wireless channels can cost anywhere $2000 to $10,000 and is both a financial setback and a huge headache for a theater.

The number of devices in the 655-680MHz band is large. It seems the FCC does not fully understand the repercussions of reallocations of the spectrum, which is peculiar, considering that their very purpose is to regulate the radio spectrum.

2. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    No matter how huge the entertainment industry which includes live theater, live concerts, club acts, houses of worship, live speaking engagements, and the like; still can't generate the billions of dollars of profit to the FCC from selling these bands.

Back when the 700Mhz band was being stolen, the BullSh*t we in the industry were told was that it was all for Police Fire and Safety needs. We found out afterwards that it was a lie and that the primary reason was to sell Sprint & ATT 3G and 4G data territory.

But like then, I will say STFU to the FCC and continue to use my 700, my 900 and my 600 Mhz band wireless system, illegal or not! But then 8-5 daily, I will be jumping for joy as I will get to resell all 1,200 of my Worship clients all new wireless systems! So its a Bad Day-Good Day kind of thing.

When the FCC sells the 600Mhz band and outlaws its use in the public sector, who's gonna be the outlaw? THIS GUY!

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hell, Im transmitting this post in 700Mhz! Screw them.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I promise you I will use my G50 as long as it is functioning, legal or not.

5. > The commission also points out that the first $7 billion raised by the auction is to build a nationwide public safety communications network, and that many members of Congress have urged the commission to sell everything it can to raise money to reduce the nation’s deficit. <

Meanwhile, according to a TV show that aired on NBC last night, your IRS department is giving out $5 billion per year in fraudulent tax refund claims.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Same here. I've had enough of the feds getting into my business.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The G50 is 2.4GHz so you don't have to worry..... yet :scowl: