Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here we go... Traben Array

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SnoMan, Mar 10, 2006.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well, I recieved my tax return and had a damn hard time figuring out what I was going to do with it.

I was tempted to buy a new preamp for my schecter deluxe 4....but I'm pretty happy with it's tone as is.

I considered some effects...but I already own several that rarely get even tinkered with.

So...I figure hey....these traben basses look cool. Plus there's also a few good reviews floating around....and hey, with a 45 day return policy on it, how can I go wrong for trying it.

Should be here Wednesday, reviews to come.

2. Right on, man! I just played one at Bass Northwest- great sounds! I found the preamp very flexible. Looking forward to reading what you think of it.

3. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    It's here!

But, I'm at work....

Update tonight!

4. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ok

Well, I was able to spend some time with it last night....though I believe I spent more time on setting it up rather than playing it.

The neck required some serious truss rod adjustment. I'll probably end up adjusting it more here after a few days. After tinkering with the intonation and string height, she was ready for a little workout.

First, I noticed the string spacing was a lil wider than my Schecter. I do like it so far though, I can see myself prefering it in the future.

Next, the neck. Once I was able to get some arch going I could begin to enjoy the neck. First impression is that it feels really fast. With the spacing being wider, it may take me a couple of hours to get it completely comfortable, but man this bass wants to go.

Tone.....I may be falling in love. At least for hard rock. This bass quickly dials in one of the most aggressive sounds I've played. I've heard that the extended bridgework adds to the punch....well, somethings adding to the punch. I don't care if it's the bridge or what brand of clear coat they used....fact is this thing hits.

As for sustane. Well, I could quickly tell that this bass has far more sustane than my Schecter. Notes hold for a very nice amount of time. I may be changing some parts in songs to take advantage of long full notes.

First day results?

Like I said, I spent more of my evening working on the bass rather than playing it. This had me in a very rough mood and I was almost ready to ship this sucker back to music123. After making some serious adjustments, I'm feeling very happy with the bass. Extremely happy after one day, but I'm going to spend more time with it before jumping to any accolades(sp?).

As of right now, I feel that for $300 and some labor I recieved an incredible bass.

I'll be gigging it friday and hopefully a full band practice today. I"ll report back from both.

:cool:

(pics very soon)

5. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    K, to add a bit more after practicing on thursday and then have a gig on friday.

I'm really digging the sound of this bass. I'm getting both strong articulation and a strong bottem which cuts around the mix rather than straight through...but created a great balance.

I'm really enjoying the sound. The playability is also very nice...the neck just wants to fly.

I am having to make continueing adjustments on the neck though. The G string still has buzz when played open and I still can't set the strings down to the height I prefer as of yet. I'm also working on an intonation problem that seems to want to settle on the 3rd fret.

If I can't get these issues resolved soon, I'll be sending it back for a replacement. I'm really digging on the bass so I'm hoping it won't have to come to that.

Current thoughts - If I can get the issues fixed, the work I've put into fixing them has still been justified by the low price and sound/feel of the instrument.

6. Ruin Bass

Ruin Bass

Mar 19, 2006
    DFW Area
    *cough* The other thread seems to have been 'looked over.'

Hey there, guy. I play in a metal band and currently play a BC Rich Warlock 4-string, NJ Series. This thing is quite massive, I was wondering what the weight is on the Traben? I beleive my BC is around 11-12 lbs, any idea on how much the Traben weighs?

I've been looking into buying a Traben for some time. And as far as what you wrote, the reveiw looks good on it. Thanks for the help.

7. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    The Array is the lightest in the Traben line from what I've heard. Traben basses are generally known as being very heavy, but this one is definately not. I believe it's lighter than my schecter.

I can't give you a definate figure, but I'd like to say under 10lbs.

If you're going from a warlock, you'll feel a world of difference when it comes to comfort and playability.

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Still got the truss rod, buzzing and intonation issues?

Seems like this Traben is like a woman who is high maintenance to me. For $300 it isn't bad but if it is going out of tune for you and buzzes no matter what then you could just step up and get a MIM Fender for $100 more (or less if used) and would be able to trust the fact that you can set it and forget it hehe.

9. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    The intonation is close to resolved and the buzzing should be soon. I'm taking my time on truss rod adjustments. Plus, I'm not having problems with it falling out of tune.

If it doesn't work out, I've still got plenty of time to return. Should that happen, I'll go for a replacement rather than cash back.

The issues the bass is having didn't have any impact on my show friday. The buzz on open G was a non-issue for the gig since I don't hit an open G in any of our songs. I spent some time before the gig getting my intonation set. I was pleased with my tone for the performance.

As for your suggestion, I've yet to play a fender that felt natural in my hands. If I find one, I plan on buying it. I want a fender for sub/short term gigs/recording work where the people I'm working with really want to see something they're familiar with.

For now, I'm sticking with the traben. It feels great and it has the sound I want for this band.

10. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    That would be nice. I have a Traben Kore 5 (the neck-through one), and its the damn heaviest bass I've ever owned - EASILY double the weight of my Bongo. It's just massive.

I think the tone is ok, but after buying a Bongo, I never play it any longer.

In fact, if anyone is interested in buying it off me, drop me a line: tim@drivebydancer.com . Color = sunburst orange. I'd be willing to sell it with its custom hard case for $450 shipped to the continental US. Will send photos

Not a bad bass at all, but the Bongo just blows it away tonally. Yeah, it has a cool look to it. I just never play it. It's become my third option.

11. that's a good note, you should check it out sometime ;)

as for your analysis on the bottom end and 'cutting around the mix' i would have to agree whole heartedly. l saw a blues band a while back and the bass player had the traben. Sounded pretty much the same way you're describing it.
    Have fun with your new bass.

12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Where's the pix?!

13. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    They're coming. Had to go out of town after my gig friday and it's been at my guitarists house. I'll be heading there for practice tonight though and I'll bring it home and get some pics.

14. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    It's a bad apple.

I was able to adjust it to make it playable, but not to the comfort zone that I expect in a bass I own.

The neck on mine is warped around the 3rd fret somewhere.

So, it's going back where it came from. I've heard a few quality control issues on the Array...so I think I'll get a refund instead of exchange.

If I'd gotten a good one the first time, it'd be staying, but I don't want to chance losing more money on shipping because of quality control on their bottem line.

15. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Any chance it just needs a fret job?

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I played a Traben at NAMM and was really imporessed. Don't remember the model, but I know it had the bigger bridge and was probably neck through. They had them set up on stands to compare the difference between the smaller and the larger bridge - it was kind of odd, you had to stand behind the setup and couldn't pick up the bass. I thought it played and sounded awesome. Like QORC said though, I doubt it would make me hang up my Bongo. I doubt any bass would make me hang up my Bongo - maybe a Stingray H/H :) .

Congatulations on the new bass. Hope you get yer neck issues worked out, or get another that you really like. Quick note: if you want your action really low, why are you adjusting the neck to have a good bow going (as I think you wrote). If you want really low action, the straighter the neck, the better off you'll be.

17. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm not sure, I've never delt with a problem like this before.

Even if that's the case, I would exchange it for a new one before spending money on a repair.

There's a good probability that I'll try Traben again. This was a spur of the moment purchase with my tax refund....now the money is probably going to go to some repairs on some instruments I need to sell. Then we'll see what happens next gear purchase ;)

:cool:

18. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I was getting major buzz on open and lower frets, so I was trying to make that adjustment. Once I was able to adjust it so that there was no severe buzzing on the open G, I was unable to lower the strings to anywhere near an acceptable height before getting buzz on the 12th fret and higher.

19. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    Here's a man happy with his Bongo! [​IMG]

20. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I had the severe mispleasure of trying out a couple of bongo's at a GC while I was on vacation.

I've wanted one of those since I first laid eyes on them.

But....the two I tried out both were in need of new strings and lowered action. So, I was a little disappointed with my first impression of playing them.

I still may make that my next bass purchase though...I don't think they had a fair shot the first time.