1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Here's a couple of bad pics...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dukey donkey, May 30, 2011.

1. My camera leaves somewhat to be desired, but here's what I've got so far for my build...I planned initially big, but had to go on the cheap... I found a nice piece of bookmatched cherry for the body, and found a company (never heard of em) named Eden for the neck.... they've got an ebay store... not a bad price for the blank maple neck with maple fretboard... the've got other options too but I wanted the articulate sound and contrast of a maple fretboard... as far as hardware goes, I'm loading it with the following... a 3 band active eq (sb-3 from guitarfetish) and a GFS ceramic musicman p/u (thanks for the advice, TB) and I'm thinking of making it an 18v instead of 9... also installing an overdrive mod (its from GF too)... so that makes 3 9v batteries lol... the tuners are wilkinson black elephants, and the bridge is a budget bridge from choppers music (another ebay store)...and using gibson style speed knobs in black...with a little skull knob in black for the overdrive selector... gonna finish the body in Tung oil... will that darken the grain enough? pics coming...

2. 5f44a887-9bfc-4586-9b4b-fbb3a39f79f0_200_200.
    images.
    110528-135707.
    CDwWLwBmkKGrHqVjUE0C-OW8koBNOVKPRyvg0_3.
    110526-210602.
    wieleartubl.
    blskncosetof.
    productspicsebay009.
    gfsmmproplal.

...and I couldn't find an image I could grab of my 3 band...or my neckplate which is black and engraved with a 5 headed dragon

3. putting the tuners in a 2+2 position...

4. Anomalous Bass

Anomalous Bass

Mar 29, 2011
    Darken the grain enough? Enough for?

5. well.. I want the richness of the cherry wood to come out and contrast enough wit the fretboard to make a difference...

6. JeffE

JeffE

Jan 19, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    I saw those necks on eBay a while back and I'm pretty curious about them. Do let us know if they come with decent fretwork, and stay straight.

7. so far so good... no rough edges, finished butter soft, and the neck is nice in hand... I was pretty impressed considering pre shipping it was 55 dollars.. no bad spots in the wood, glue work seems solid enough... will find out after assembly how well it really holds up... otherwise, I'm pretty darn pleased...

8. Anomalous Bass

Anomalous Bass

Mar 29, 2011
    No need for all the pics being posted twice. Tru oil will darken the wood/grain a bit. I personally didnt like how much it yellowed the wood i tried it on but maybe its just me.

9. sorry I accidentally posted em twice.. my bad... and I'm looking to bring the natural reds out not yellow the wood.. hmmm... I saw once about a gunstock finish...would it negatively affect my tone?

10. Anomalous Bass

Anomalous Bass

Mar 29, 2011
    Tru oil is gunstock finish, which is what i was refeiring to. I dont know why i didnt read tung oil in your first post, sorry about that/ Tung oil may not yellow it as much. I dont know of many finishes that will just bring out color (and not yellow for that matter).

You can edit your post to remove the extra pics.

11. gotcha... I like the finish on thumbs... isn't that tung oil?

12. Anomalous Bass

Anomalous Bass

Mar 29, 2011
    Im not sure, warwick uses/used a number of finishes including just wax. I tend to prefer darker woods not just because of preference but because of how most oil finishes change the natural color of lighter woods so much (imo, or maybeits a norm and people just dont care).

13. bass has been finished for months... will post some pics asap... just got my internet service back on... by the way, sounds awesome... I ended up being quite pleasantly suprised by the combination of cherry body and maple neck/fretboard... gfs makes great pickups for the price, btw...

14. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Very cool, looking forward to seeing the finished pics