1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hernia anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokn388, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jokn388

jokn388

Apr 11, 2007
    After my workout yesterday I felt some pain in my lower regions. It was very subtle but pretty annoying. It crossed my mind to check it out so I felt it up and coughed. There feels like a lump on one side that isn't on the other, so I am going to the doctor on Saturday to have it checked it. There is still a subtle pain so I will be icing until I go home to see the doctor. I'm holding out that I strained/pulled it, but I figure I would prepare for the worst.

Anyone ever have a hernia? How did it happen? How did the docs fix it? And what was the recovery like? I have a planned marathon in the end of October, so I'm hoping I won't have to miss it if it is indeed a hernia

Any of your xp would be very much appreciated. Thanks

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    I think i might have a hernia. The lower left of my back has been hurting since '08. Its either that or a bad kidney.

My pops had one. He decided not to do the surgery. He slept a lot for about 5 months (or more, it was a few years ago) and got better. I guess with regular therapy, and rest the disc will move back into place.

Also, if you can feel a lump thats A) the disc, you should get it checked right away. or B) something else, either way check with your doctor.

Good luck!

3. Hope the news is good.

If it was a hernia I'd expect it to be more than "subtle but pretty annoying" ! Good call on getting it checked out. I've pulled muscles in my back where it has resulted in a balling up like that before, but that wasn't subtle either :p

4. I had the same problem (injured/aggravated a disc at the gym) which was made worse by sneezing while balanced on one leg, best over, arm extended and reaching to one side. This apparently very common. After the sneeze thing, there was a very sharp pinch. If it gets that far, you will know for sure, and the pain will be much worse the next day, and then subside a couple days later.

I went into the doctor, who said it was a hernia/slipped disc, and that I was young, so I'd be fine in a week or two. I did not take it as easy as I should have I suppose, and it ruptured shortly thereafter at a concert (kind of ruins the experience).

BE AS CAREFUL AND CONSERVATIVE AS POSSIBLE. Rupture means surgery, and that's something you live with indefinitely. If I had had better advice, and not the American medical system's corner-cutting, glance at the problem response, I do not believe I would be where I am today.

I'm not really bitter or anything, as I can't do anything about it, but please learn from my mistakes and take it as easy as possible. Don't lift anything heavy. Don't Stretch the nerve too much (probably the sciatic on the left or right [disc inflamation will put more pressure on the nerve and will result in pain and weakness, so you will probably notice]). Push your doctors to do as much as possible, and go to a reputable clinic if you can. Demand an MRI if you are not better in two weeks.

My local medical group, where my primary care physician is at, gave me awful advice. They prescribed medication which is known to have more negative effects, and is less effective (ineffective as far as I could tell) because it's cheaper. Then they told me I'm a candidate for spinal fusion, so that got me all worked up and depressed wrestling with that idea. A couple weeks later I found a good clinic that said a different surgical procedure would be the next step, and fusion only as a last result. Guess which is cheaper? Fusion.

I have amazing health insurance, but many medical groups treat you the same regardless, and opt for the cheap option. DO NOT COMPROMISE YOUR HEALTH FOR ANY REASON.

Hope this helped, and best of luck.

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    No thanks?

6. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I was born with a hernia and after a few surgies when I was little still have it and live with it.. However its mines in the front..

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I got a hernia one time from coughing.... (yeah yeah - I'm a wimp, bring it, I can take it) but I got it one time after a real bad bout with bronchitis. Apparently prolonged severe coughing can cause one if you have the predisposed weakness in the abdominal wall or something of the sort. I had to get an operation to get it fixed but it was a piece of cake really and haven't had a single problem since

8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    I had a hernia when I was about 5. Had to go to surgery, still have the scar above my belly-button.

I don't remember any of it. At all. I remember I asked my mom once when I was a kid "Hey mom, what's this funny line on my belly?"

9. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Had one in my neck once. Boy did that suck. I could turn my head one way but not the other, so I had to be careful what side I slept on. Driving was kind of a pain too because I had to turn my entire upper body to see anything coming from the left at an intersection. And if someone called my name from behind me and I reflexively snapped my head around, I then had to explain why I yelled when I turned around.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had an inguinal hernia a couple years back. I noticed I magically happened to have a third testicle one day, so I figured I should probably have it checked out. Had a pretty big tear it turned out- it was a month before I had my surgery, and for the most part it didn't hurt until I tried the breast stroke one day. Ow. I had gotten it from overworking myself, taking care of my infant daughter and sick wife- I was carrying a lot of weight around. They knock you out for the surgery so you won't feel/know what's going on. Afterwards, it's tough to move without pain and coughing is extremely painful. If you stay off your feet and avoid moving, there won't be much pain otherwise. The most painful part of the whole procedure was getting the bandage ripped off once I'd healed up. Get it operated on immediately and you should be able to do your marathon without any problem. As my doctor said, hernias are like holes in sweaters- they only get bigger.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    They can also get twisted and cut off blood circulation to the area, start rotting, cause and infection and if untreated, you can die. So get to the Doc asap.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    The one thing I really don't want.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Go to the doc. I had an umbilical hernia when I was 11, had it fixed and now have an extra belly button.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You lucked out- they didn't let me keep my third testicle :D

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This thread is making my sphincter clench shut.

16. Bassus

Bassus

Jul 10, 2008
    I had hernias on both side of my groin...dont even know how either one happened. You dont always get a "ouch" while moving something heavy. It can be just agenetic weakness in your Fascia. This is the thin sac that lines your body cavity and holds all the "liquidy" organs in place. When a small tear occurs, the intestine begins to seep out the hole by gravity and it hurts! If left untreated, more of the intestine will go through (seen as a bulge on the lower abdomen/groin area). It can twist or become "strangulated". From what Ive heard, this will be enough pain to make you pass out. If you lie on your back, you should be be to gently push everything back in where it belongs, but without surgery, it WILL continue. It will not heal by itself.

I can be repaired by two methods of surgery. I have had both. The traditional and most common way is to cut the abdomen open (small incision) and sew up the tear, or staple in a kevlar-like patch for extra strength. The other way is laproscopic. They punch a small hope in the bellybutton, inflate the abdomen and repair using a small camera and tools inserted through 2 tiny holes on either side of the bellybutton. I had a miserable recovery from the first method...very painful for almost a week, then slow recovery. Although my main Dr. did not recommend laproscopic for my second surgery, I did it anyway and had virtually NO recovery. Zero pain, right back to normal functions in all ways immediatly. In any case both methods have held up for many years with no recurrance. I know many who have had better recoveries than me with the first method, incidentally.
    Do not confuse hernia, with herniated disc....hernia, front, herniated disc, back.
    Good luck, get a good surgeon.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ

My surgery was the 1st one as well. Recovery was painful for a few days but it got better and better, I was lucky. Haven't had a problem since fortunately.

18. jokn388

jokn388

Apr 11, 2007
    Not true. Not all hernias come with excruciating pain. There are levels of severity, as with everything else. My dad had to have surgery for a hernia once, and he said the pain was discomforting, but not unbearable.

Plus I have learned my lesson for not getting my body checked out. I thought I was having calf muscle issues but later found out I had been racing on a stress fracture for a couple months. A 4 week rest time turned into 4 months, and barely lucked out with not needing my bones screwed back together.

19. JLP

JLP

Mar 15, 2008
    A hernia is a tear in the muscles holding your guts in. Your abdomin. I had aone years go. Left untreated it can cause you more problems. Especially if you are young and active.