1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kael, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Would you release a 5'er with a full 19mm spacing at the bridge already? You have instruments I would be interested in if you'd get past this obsession with tight string spacing. That crap won't fly for many players. You are missing out on a significant portion of the market.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Or maybe they're benefiting from a significant part of the market that likes non 19mm spacing.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Music Man won't do it either. Oh well. My Brubaker Brute is 19mm, and it plays better than any Music Man or G&L I've ever played or owned. If G&L would do 19mm I'd get in line for one though, that's for sure. Especially if they offered in in a carved top like their non-USA basses.

Look at Brubaker, Carvin, and MTD for awesome 5 strings with 19mm spacing. I also wish Spector and Warwick would offer 19mm spacing in a bass that cost less than $5000.

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

I got lucky on my Streamer LX6 wideneck. Picked it up before the price on them went WAY up.

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    So offering something that would appeal to someone who likes wider spacing precludes them from offering what they already do how again?

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It wouldn't, but it would add significantly to their tooling and inventory costs. With other makers more than happy to cover the "way too wide" market, it probably just doesn't make good business sense.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Think of the ergonomics of the bass with what you're asking. At 19mm, the reach to the outer two strings is almost 3/4" farther than that of a 19mm 4-string. At 17mm, the reach is less than a half inch farther, and yet, 2mm between strings is nearly unnoticeable and is something you could overcome in a week.

8. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I seems as though there are a lot of 5 string players that just cant deal with narrow spacing. Personally i can adjust.

Anyway i think it would be a cool option. Seeing as how they offer a variety of 4 string necks why not have a few options for 5ers? Since we are making requests how about a 5 string jb? :)

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    That is what I am waiting for along with a 5 string SB-2.

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The ergonomics argument doesn't hold water. I switched to a 20mm spaced sixer from a 17mm sixer in about a half hour. Trying to go back to the tighter spaced bass after a couple weeks was a different story. Sure I could've forced myself to go back to the tight spacing, but after finding how much less effort was involved with a wider spacing, why would I want to? Hell, I could do my morning jog in a three piece suit wearing clogs if I wanted to. Doesn't sound like fun though. If someone else likes it, great. IME tighter string spacing slows things down.

Seriously, G&L, don't drop what you already have. Just offer a wider spacing option five string. You don't have to offer the L-2500 wide here. Just try one bass with it. Maybe the JB in a five with 19mm?

edit: Heh. Someone beat me to the JB/SB idea before I hit post. Great minds...

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I knew those basses had wide necks, but I didn't think you could do that on them!

12. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    +1

I have an L-2500 and an Ibanez BTB 5er. I also have a 4 string JB. I can swap between them and never notice the string spacing being an issue.

13. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I don't buy that arguement, and here's why:

How many full sized 4 string basses do you own that have 16-17mm spacing?

Yeah that's what I thought. It's not about ergonomics. It's about comfort and being able to play a string without hitting 2 of the other strings. There's a reason 19mm is called 'standard' and 17mm is called 'narrow'.

14. The 2500 was one of the first 5 string basses I bought when I first switched from a 4 to a 5 and I never could get past the string spacing issue. It wasn't until I got a Lakland 55-94, which has a 19mm spacing, that I felt at home again. I now play that bass and a Fender 5 string Precision, which has a slightly tighter spacing. If G&L did offer a wider spacing 5 string, I'd certainly be interested. It was a great bass otherwise.

15. spiltcoil

spiltcoil Inactive

Dec 13, 2010
    The spacing on the g&l is why I chose them over Lakland for instance...much more comfy for me. Perhaps that's weird for someone coming from playing 51 and 57 style Fender P necks almost exclusively...I dunno.

16. 5 string SB-2

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

quagmire-3865.jpg

Depending on the price and the colors, I would pre-order a 5 string SB-2.

17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hmm, my experience was the exact opposite. I'm going to start a thread bitching that Sadowsky won't offer a metro with 17mm.

18. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I won't buy them because of the tight spacing on their 5's. I need both 3/4 spacing at the bridge and a 1 7/8 nut. Really like the sound, though.

Dan K.

19. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    2 actually, but we'll ignore your example.

And the comparison was of overall string spacing as it compares to a typical 19mm 4-string.

20. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Barring Steinberger, Ibanez, and small custom builders, who else makes a 4 string with 16mm spacing?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021