1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey Guys Check OUt My First Pro Recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by funkyfretless, Jun 8, 2007.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey guys,
    well after along time of retakes and mixing/panning....i finished my first song. its a pop tune, so bass inst crazy throughout. on this tune i played direct thru everything into my mbox pro. i played my 64 p bass, upright (at beginning with bow), and my adler fretless on the chorus.

i also sing all vocals, play french horn, banjo, and my brother and my 2 friends play guitar and piano.

please guys give it a listen and let me know what you think, so i can work on not only my mixing but my tunes as well. please try to listen thru headphones or a nice audio system cause just listenin thru my laptop speakers....man its kinda rough :)

anyway give me a comment on myspace or shoot it right here in the forum. oh and dont make fun of my vocals...:)

heres the link:

http://www.myspace.com/evanhodgesmusic

thanks guys,
    e

2. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    oh and its the first tune....hidden.

the second song is really old (like 3 yrs) :) played on my old benavente fretless

3. thechips

thechips

Apr 10, 2006
    good stuff.
    I liked it...it felt just a little bit slow, but apart from that it's great.

4. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey,
    thanks man. i know i thought it felt alittle slow too :)

thanks man,
    e

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was creative playing. I enjoyed your arrangement and how you accompanied your vocals. I agree the tempo seemed to drag a bit, but that was likely your intention.:cool:

6. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    thanks man. i appreciate it :)

7. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    That's good, wish I could do that!:D

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey Evan the track had some very good moments over all but in a lot of spots it dragged and the timing was off a little(two different aspects of a musical pulse) and your voice shows some interesting promise(and I mean that in the most positive way).

keep doing what you're doing because I hear the potential

p.s.
    and focus on the qaulity of your production as well(because it's all connected).

9. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    thanks guys for the comments so far..keep them commin :)

10. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    Good job!

Intro: A little reverb goes a long way! Banjer's out of tune.

Rest of the tune:
    Drums drag a little

Mainly you need some EQ on your voice. Cut the low-mids and boost the highs (small increments) to bring out the presence in your voice. Then it'll sit in the mix like you want it to. Your vocal level is low in spots so it's hard to hear you clearly.

Sounds to me like a lot of that low-mid hump is from the proximity effect of the mic. If you backed off the mic slightly (and stayed there) perhaps you wouldn't have to employ as much of that low-mid freq cut. There are times when it sounds like you're right up on the mic and other times when it drops off almost to nothing. There's nothing wrong with "working" the mic but in the studio I try to keep it to a minimum (1-2 inches). It all depends on the mic, too. The polar pattern and your gain are the main factors here. Experiment and have fun!

Again, good job. Good effort. Keep it coming!

11. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Inactive

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Great song, the only thing is that 1)I couldn't understand the words at times ( could you post the lyrics?) and 2) it sounds like it was pieced together, by that I mean it seems like some of the parts aren't in sync sometimes. Rehearse it and record it with a band and it'll be slammin'.;)

12. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey thanks guys for all your imput!
    ill try to add some of these opinions
    to my new song im recordin. ill post
    it, and yall tell me what to think.

peace,
    e

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I liked it. The only thing that doesn't work is the extreme panning you have going on. Drums & Bass should always be central. You could slightly pan the organ and guitar. The extreme panning disconnects the song from the sum of the parts! Bring it all together. I'd love to hear a remixed version.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021