1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi guys - intro from a noob.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidmh, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Davidmh

Davidmh

Jul 12, 2012
    Wales, UK
    Hi guys,

Just joined.

Looks a useful forum, I hope I can contribute something useful.
    Confession time:
    I have never played a bass before, in fact I've never held a complete bass guitar before. I have a project half-bass guitar:D.

Right now I'm struggling with jazz chords and tabs on my strat knock-off - a self-build from bits from evilbay.
    My bass project is about halfway there. The neck is complete apart from tuners, and the body is shielded and ready for the pickguard and pups (which I haven't bought yet).

Looking forward to stretching out when the bass is finished:bassist:.

2. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Hi David, & welcome to the forums!
    You'll have to post some pics of your bass when it's finished.

3. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    I look forward to seeing this bass you're building!

What pickups were you thinking of ordering?

4. Davidmh

Davidmh

Jul 12, 2012
    Wales, UK
    Cheap ones!
    Probably Wilkinson Alnico's. These are an upgrade on the MIM pickups evidently.
    Bear in mind I'm building from a s/hand cheap chinese body (but one-piece, not three piece, and with a nice sunburst paintjob) married to a repaired Ibenez neck (and THAT was fun:)).
    Seb, I really don't want anyone getting excited over this build, not after I've seen some of the beautiful work on here!

Also I don't have a dedicated bass amp, so it will be running though a little 5-watt Laney tube amp (8-inch speaker).

Thanks for asking.