1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hide your bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkazam, Jul 9, 2020.

1. jkazam

jkazam

May 25, 2007
    Over the last 6 months, I’ve ordered 3 basses and at least 2 of them are coming in the next 2 weeks. The third probably not too far behind. How do I get these past my wife?

2. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    How is her visual and spatial awareness, on a scale of one to ten?

3. Why do you have to hide them?

4. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    51V9Ujs4WOL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

This should work

dSay, Bozendoka, Thundertips and 79 others like this.
  5. Fender4Me

Fender4Me The Undertaker Supporting Member

The trick is to have so many basses to begin with that she never notices 2 or 3 more.

6. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    You know how women always say men don't pay attention? I traded an old Harkte for a brand new Markbass combo. That's a grey and silver 4X10 to a black and yellow 2X10... she couldn't tell the difference...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Thundertips, Heady, J_Bass and 22 others like this.
  7. jkazam

jkazam

May 25, 2007
    Because divorce is expensive!
    This is true. She mistakes any black sedan for my car. So while I think she would probably notice a few new basses around, she may not if the total number of stringed instruments stays the same. Maybe I’ll hide an old bass and one of my mini high pitched 6 string basses in a closet.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  8. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    First, stash them in the garage. Later, bring them in one at a time after a gig or rehearsal. She won’t be counting as you’re moving your old gear. :bassist:

9. jkazam

jkazam

May 25, 2007
    Getting there. As of now I only have 3 and one is busted.

Loring likes this.
  10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    DSCN0687.JPG I don't have to hide mine. I sent my wife back home to her Mommy 22 years ago, so... I can bring pretty much anything into my house. This remedy may not be for everyone, though...:rolleyes: Here's a small taste of what I didn't have to hide - along with my latest acquisition...:whistle:

Thundertips, 2Bellz, hwystar and 21 others like this.
  11. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well if one is busted then put that one away and bring new one in...replacement hunny.
    Then store the others in another closet or and bring them out one at a time and rotate them.
    (First have them shipped so that you are able to bring them in when she is not around of course)
    Eventually you will have to tell her. BUT the real issue is how much overall did you spend? THAT is the the real question at hand with the wife.

teh-slb, jdh3000 and jkazam like this.
  12. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    Looks like you are going to be joining "My basses are all the same color" club.

13. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    i use the old, " deliver to side door, watch like a hawk, distract-grab-hide, then slowly introduce into rotation" lol

14. jkazam

jkazam

May 25, 2007
    Just over $4000
    New Ibanez EHB1005MS
    Used 1999 EBMM SR Fretless
    New Sandberg VM5 being built in metallic orange hardcore aged

15. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I mean... You could have a conversation with her about them. Maybe talk about the deals you got, or a special use of this one over that, or even the special meaning or significance they have to you.

Alternatively, you could question your own impulse control and buying habits...

16. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    Are you of the camp that it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission?

My wife and I discuss purchases before they happen, unless it’s something small, obviously. It has worked very well. I’d suggest being open and honest in the future about your bass buying.

17. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    That my son is your problem.:laugh:

Carl320, JettBlaq and jkazam like this.
  18. Tell her. Or maybe, in the future, don't buy 3 basses at once if you're gonna have to go all Mission: Impossible to pull it off.

19. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Not only is secrecy wrong - it also isn’t going to work.

Miles_ONeal, JES, tonym and 29 others like this.
  20. jkazam

jkazam

May 25, 2007
    I definitely have a problem haha ; ). To be fair to myself though I've been playing over 20 years and used the same Warwick Thumb 4 NT for 15 of them.