High End Choices.....!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, May 8, 2004.

1. Well here I am....thinkin that i really knew what I wanted for my Second Main Axe...

My current setup is a GB Spitfire Custom and EBS Fafner/4x10

I am looking to add another high end bass to my collection... I am not one for huge collection just two good quality basses and a great amp will do :)...

My heart was firmly set on a New GB ....but I am tempted by other things...but i really do not know what I want anymore....:(..

My usual style of music is hardcore/alt indie but i do play lotsa jazz,funk and rocky stuff...with all the harmonic, tapping and slapping techniques being used...so i need a instrument that is totally verstile... With a powerful punchy, warm lows and crisp highs but everything inbetween especially that warm punchy rocky bass sound....!!! here is my short list with pictures and reasonings..

GB Spitfire Custom

Already owning one the GB's are the top of high End Jazz Basses ofering clean attack but are very hi-fi and have probably the best electronics you can get.

Roscoe LG3004

Supurb bass with classic P-Bass vibe, fantastic bookmatched tops....very powerful mids and lows and with a demeter pre-amp can get a great slapping and tapping tone out....would have a mahogany bodied one....

Shuker Elite Bolt-On

One of the best un-discoverd talents is Jon Shuker who's tradional designs use cutting edge technology in a well presents uncluttered package...with endless combinations of pup choice, pre-amps and wood choices...

Status S2-Classic Bolt-On

Modern Graphite necks offer lots of sustain...the status tone is very raspy and cutting and like the GB very hi-fi...with crazy highs and mids and big bottom end...warm and even....

All these basses have different possbilites...and all would fit my bill perfectly....but i have no idea where to head...I have played all and love all...for different reasons...

sorry for being a pain .!!!
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
  3. hehehe if only unfortuantly my budget wont stretch to that :(....wish it would...of i'd have that Sad in no time heheh..!!!!....

so0o many choices...
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The answer is always Pedulla.

Failing that, Roscoe.

Failing that, Spector.

These are your only options.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Of your choices, I only have experience with the Roscoe (LOVE my LG3000!), but can assure you that you would NOT be let down by it. I have the NTBT in mine, but am thinking of looking into the Demeter or Aguilar OBP-3.
  6. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Get a Cirrus and be done with it. ;) -Luke
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I just got my first Roscoe in with the Demeter. Let me know if you have any questions. I've been impressed so far, and will be doing an A/B comparison between the two buckeye burl/spanish cedar basses I have right now. That should make for a pretty effective comparison, I think.
  8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I have zero experience with those basses. But... get the GB or Roscoe - so pretty.
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    my usual answer; Smith.
  10. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I think Roscoes look the best, but that Status seems interesting. John Entwistle played them they can't be too shabby.
  11. Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    This should make up your mind!

GB 5 and GB 4 through neck.
  12. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Hahaha - Yeah, Ari has really nice stuff to sell and I'm sure he's more than willing to let you have a go at them :D Not considering any Sadowskys?
  13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I personally would go with the Roscoe.
  14. Since your in West Yorkshire, and already own a GB, go with Shuker or Status. Also, check out Overwater, Wal, Sei, or even Chris Larkin. That's what I would do.
  15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Go with one of the 5's. Those Roscoe LG-3005's are superb. Of the two you posted, I'd choose the Status.
  16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Yup...mine too.
    Roscoes are great values.
    Smiths have stood the test of time...for a good reason.
  17. Flanker I hate you :p....

NOW GAS-ing again

Two GB's erm erm erm
  18. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I've found that a Status Graphite Stealth is a wonderful partner to my GB. :D
  19. Being that your in Yorkshire, I'd check out Shuker, I've heard good things about these basses, when I get chance I'll making the trip over the penines myself to check them out for myself.
    Another GB is also an option, I saw a white 5 string Bernie did for a customer last year that had a MM pick up at the bridge, maybe a change of P/U's from the GB P/U's would be an option, on the other hand, the GB P/U's combined with the electronics are what makes a GB IMHO!

And just for the sake of it, here's a pic' of my GB!