1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High School Physics Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Captain567, Sep 24, 2008.

1. We're examining waves and sound in physics, and our project is to build an instrument then explain how the different noises are being made. Considering I've been thinking about making my own bass recently, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to go through with it.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how I can make an easy, cheap build with a decent tone that I could still play in the future. Also any design ideas that would work here, something I was thinking of was making an acoustic bass instead of electric, how would that work out? Easier, harder? I'm looking for as much info as possible.

2. Well, in my novice opinion it costs me about a grand to do one build, and thats the simpler ones. I guess you could make yours all out of mahogany due to its high availability and maybe get a set of cheap p'ups off ebay.

3. Not quite directed at your exact issue, but show off harmonics and how the nodes are present throughout the string (pop a fifth fret harmonic, then lightly touch the twelfth and twenty-fourth frets for example) my physics teacher love it =P

4. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    slam a hammer right in the middle of a small tin tub (14" high, by 24" wide) and attach a long string to a stick and attach the other end to a hole in the tub. put the other end of the stick in the dent in the tub. very, very, very cheap street bass. clearly demonstrates how tighter strings have higher pitch and vice versa... hahahhahahhaa...