1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

high string tension on the G

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by robert21, Oct 18, 2009.

1. robert21

robert21

Jun 2, 2008
    london
    My G string is alot tighter than my EAD and i wanted to know if there's any way to adjust the tension of just one string.

Ive heard that if u put on a 4/4 length string it would be less tight than a 3/4 length string, is there any truth in this?

Is there anything else u guys can think of?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Try a lighter tension G string. What kind of strings are on the bass now?

3. William Hoffman

William Hoffman Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Lodi, California
    what eric said.

also: you can try a "solo" string set. the solo G by itself might be uneven compared to the EAD. :)

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Funny you mention that. I just had a solo Evah Pirrazzi G with Spiro Mittel E and A and Obli D on my bass. Not too bad soundwise with the other strings, and the G solo string was much looser feeling.

5. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    Have you used an Evah weich G? If so, was there much difference between the solo G and the weich?

bob

6. eric

just to clarify: you had an EP solo "A" string tuned down to G...right ?

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes, I have Evah weichs on my other bass. The solo A tuned down is looser feeling than the weich G. Maybe not as much "ping" on the front of the note with the solo, but nice clarity.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    That's right.