Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High Tension Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Can anyone point me in the right direction of some good sounding high tension strings (for a 6er)

Preferable a brighter sounding string.

I am on some standard regular D'Addarios.

I did a search and didnt come up with much.

I prefer the higher tension because i do alot of low end fast work and my B is a tad on the floppy side. I also dont like the feel of my C string, so thin.

Thanks for your time guys.

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Try Fodera Diamonds.They're stiffer than your regular D'Addarios and you may also like the gauges.
    Regards,

3. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    I heard that they loose their brightness fairly quick.

Do you find that this happens ?

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    From who?:)
    Foderas are the most long-lasting strings I used so far.Of course,you'll have to fairily mantain them (wipe after playing,wash hands,eventually use FastFret or any string conditioner that suits you).If minimal care rules are respected,you're OK to go for a long time with these strings.

5. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Saw it on a thread one time.

Know of any online shops i could buy these in bulk for cheap?

6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
  7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
  8. DR (stainless) Low Riders are pretty bright and are higher tension.

9. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    OK my friends,here it is:
    I never used SIT strings so I cannot say anything about them.
    On the other side,on two of my basses (a 5-er 35'' and a 6-er 34'') I had,for 9 or 10 months,DR LoRiders stainless.After that,I changed them with D'Addario ProSteels (when these came up)and played them about 6 months.
    No doubt...both types are excellent strings,good sounding,growly and focused but they're "soft and flabby" (please don't take these terms in a bad way,I'm not a detractor of their qualities!:) )when compared with Fodera Diamonds in terms of stiffness AND long life.
    HTH!
    Regards,

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yep. The Foderas really feel tighter at the same gauges, and they last a long time - for me anyway. I usually get Fodera to substitute a heavier B string though - like most sets by most manufacturers the B strings always seem to be of lesser tension.

I've gone to lighter gauges over time - I like the Wooten set with a .125 or .125 tapercore on the B. that feels really balanced.

11. Labella Stainless Rounds (Deep Talkin' Bass) are quite high tension, although I haven't checked that they make them in a 6 string set.

12. I'm doing an experiment at the moment. On my BB70, I used to have Carvin 5011s strung BEAD, .128, .100, .080, .060.

I just put on D'addario Pro Steels, BEAD, .145, .120, .105, .075 about 4 hours ago. I have been tuning and adjusting the bass very slowly because it's such a drastic change in tension and I am terribly paranoid about snapping the neck or the strings. I don't have the money to replace either.

They feel super tight, but I haven't been able to break them in at full volume and such, it being 03:15 right now and all. Wednesday night, I'll get to really try them out at rehearsal with the band. It should be nifty.

:hyper:

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I wouldn't worry so much about snapping your neck, unless there's a crack in it. They're usually made to handle hundreds of pounds of pressure. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but I remember seeing pictures of a guy standing on a neck, that was bridging two chairs.

I have on the other hand, broken strings while tuning up. I try to be careful with the higher strings. Especially when stretching them.

14. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    These strings should "feel" stiffer due to Hex core too.

15. I know. It's highly unlikely, though there have been rare incidents, and I have snapped strings before. Part of it is just that I worry about everything. I'd like to think it's just cos I'm a girl, but it's not. I have severe anxiety. It's good for somethings, bad for others, but, I'm sure my bass is happier because of my paranoia.

At least I hope it is. :oops:

16. colnago1973

colnago1973

Sep 23, 2005
    :smug:
    My regular one is Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lee 5 string
    I use a Warwick Streamer LX 5.
    And the strings bring me a bright sound & higher tension.

17. True, true - DR Low Riders are noticably stiffer.

18. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    some intresting replies here