Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

high tension strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Feb 12, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I really like high tension light strings. im likeing the 45-105 set up but i like my strings really tight but also thin what do you guys recommend. Im using GHS right now

2. I've found D'Addario strings to be the highest tension from what I've tried. I had to do some serious trussrod adjustments when using them to compensate for the neck bow.

Paul Mac

3. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    what did you do??? im a noob when it comes to truss rods and that kind of ****...

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    DR Lo riders stainless steel.

5. +1 DR Low Riders. Compression wound or some such technique. Noticably tighter than most.

6. I tightened the trussrod to compensate for the higher tension of the strings. However, you have to be careful when making any trussrod adjustments. It's an expensive lesson if you snap it. I suggest either letting an experienced person make the adjustments for you or find someone that can show you how it's done.

Paul Mac

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Sadowsky strings have a bit of tension for the raltive gauge as do DR Low Riders.

IME with D'Addario XLs, I thought they were average to not so tight for a given gauge.

Dave

8. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    D'addario slow wounds are the best strings.
    They have a very high string tension.
    Ieveryone should try them once
    (the soft/regular or even mediums) NOT SOFT!
    best strings around and I have used 30+ odd brands of strings over the last 14 years

of course IMO you may not like them but if your looking for high tension youve found a home!:hyper:

9. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    whats the texture like. So far im really liking the rough stuff like rotosound im up to try anything.

10. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I'll throw out the flatwound options ;)

Fender 9050s and Labella Deep Talkin' flats are both pretty high tension strings.

11. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    the fender and labella flats rock
    I used to use the fender set that's 105-55 but I recently switched to the labella jamersons that are 110-52. I like them both but I prefer the Jamersons. But yeah flats rock as far as strings go in general.

12. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i love flats but thats not what im looking for on this bass. I like to slap so flats won't do...

13. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Codswallop! ;)

14. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    huh????? what does that mean?

15. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    D'addario anything. All of them are markedly higher tension. Also, DR Lo-Riders, both Stainless Steel and Nickel. They sound amazing too.