1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Highschool without drugs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fetfet, Oct 2, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Hi.

I just started grade 9, and all my grade 10 friends tell me that it's futile to resist the onslaught of drugs, but i'm really in to the Straight Edge thing, and am trying to abstain, but my very best friend, who introduced me to straight edge, is a budding stoner. I find this very dreary, and have slightly less high hopes than i used to.

My question is, has anyone on the boards gone through high school without drugs? I want to know if it's possible.

2. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    It is very possible.

3. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    [SUB]yay![/SUB]

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Its very possible, but i didnt do it that way. Looking back, i really wish i hadnt been stoned all that time. Waste of a good education.

5. I did.

In my college the general consensus was that you went out on Thursday nights to get drunk. There were drugs involved too- a lot of weed and some stronger stuff.
    I just didn't do that kind of thing- I was doing almost twice the normal workload of anyone I knew and I was helping run my college classics department too and so I didn't have TIME.

Anyone who gives you the whole 'you can't resist' thing really is weak. Every language has a word for 'no'. There's more to high school/college than doing drugs/drink.

6. Peer Pressure is BS, no one can force you to do anything and if you're not comfortable doing something then don't.

It's really that simple. You will really learn who your true friends are though.

7. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    It is possible. I know a few people that did it.

If you really want to be drug free, it should come fairly easy; as long as you believe in your ability to say no.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I never did drugs. I hung out with some stoners too and had one guy in my band who was a big time pothead. It's about what you want to decide to do, not what your friends decide to do.

bc

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Believe it or not, statistically most Americans have not tried drugs. Most high school graduates are virgins as well! I myself never drank, smoked or did any drugs in high school. That changed in college :) I never faced much pressure to do drugs or drink. It was always more like "come on man, join the party."

Despite what you may have heard, no one is ever going to force or coerce you into doing drugs. Sometimes a friend will peer pressure you because he himself is nervous about smoking pot, dropping acid or whatever. But it's really a personal decision what you want to do with your body. I'm not going to tell you that you must be straight edge your whole life, though you would be better off doing so for the time being - at the very least until you feel ready... which may be at 19, 25, or never.

People who start drinking and doing drugs at a younger age are more likely to have addiction problems later on. I don't have anything against pot, but the people I knew who started it at a young age are, in my opinion, worse off for it.

10. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I can not say I went drug free either. I tried a few things along the way, but never a heavy user. Lots of my friends never tried anything.

It take more charter to do what you want to do than to go with everyone else. Whatever you do in life the only person who has to be happy with the decisions you make is you.

11. What's straight edge???

12. is alcohol a drug? if so then no i did not make it through.

13. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's entirely possible. I never did drugs in HS, and I hung out with a lot of stoners.

I did drink. I'm not proud of it, but I did it. C'est la vie, I turned out fine.

Nobody can force you to do anything via peer pressure. Be strong.

14. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    No drugs no booze.

15. I never did drugs in high school. I don't have that kind of money.

16. Ah right. Pretty much what I'm doing anyway?

17. +1

Just say no!! :)

I remember in grade 7 our class had a police officer come to our school for an hour a week for about a month. He made it seem like drugs were just gonna rain from the sky when we hit high school.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    This is self-justification nonsense on the part of your "grade 10 friends". No one is going to force you to do drugs, even if you find yourself in a room full of stoners. A very offhand, "nah, I'm cool" is all it takes. Really.

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    It's very possible, I did it. I did get drunk a couple times, but that's about it. I did have to emphatically say no once to a friend who insisted I try something, but otherwise I never felt pressured.

I didn't realize straight edge was really still around until that thread popped up the other day. (I'm old.:atoz:) Ironically, the drunkest I ever got in my life was at a Minor Threat show. (They were incredible, BTW.) My band was one of the opening acts, and then a friend showed up with a few 40s of Magnum.:rollno:

20. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    To be fair, if you're hanging out with a bunch of people who are taking drugs, especially full-on mindbenders like LSD or whatever, you'll be a bit of a square peg. But if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Leave them to it and hang out with them some other time when they're not smashed.

People will probably offer you drugs, but nobody's going to be offended if you don't accept them.