Highway One Neck Finish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TeeAre, Mar 9, 2021.

1. TeeAre

TeeAre

Oct 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Does anyone knows what Fender used to finish the necks on the Highway One basses, namely an '08-'09 Jazz?

Is it nitro -- like the bodies -- or is it something less prone to reacting to stands, hangers, and the environment?

I've done a bit of searching, but haven't come across anything definitive. Checking the Fender catalog hasn't yielded any specifics ( https://guitar-compare.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Fender-2009-Catalog-Pricelist.pdf , page 91).

To my eyes and hands, its less shiny and sticky than the gloss necks I've played, but is far from what I know as satin. It's hard for me to say if it feels like the finish on the body, since it has received much different handling than the neck over the years.

I'd like to know both out of curiosity and to help better preserve the instrument.

If it comes down to it, I can post photos if it would help narrow things down.

If this has been touched on before and I missed the thread in my search, feel free to link the post -- I'd appreciate it. Some of the threads about Highway Ones on here have spiraled into misinformation and weird gatekeeping, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed valuable information among the pissing contests.

Thanks!

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I believe it is a satin poly finish on those. I definitely don't remember them being nitro like the bodies. The bodies have a nitro "sweet" smell, and the necks don't.

TeeAre likes this.
  3. TeeAre

TeeAre

Oct 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What a weird way to to differentiate, but I think I know the smell you mean and it sort of makes sense.

Lownote38 likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021