Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Hippo" Ashbory

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hello everyone,
    Well I've been dying to have an Ashbory ever since I tried a Guild years ago, but I never liked the way they looked. I got the replacement parts from Large Sound. All toll about $80 for the parts and $5 locally for screws, all the wood was lying around. ;)

A few day later here it is. It was a fun project actually, I didn't really plan much at all, just kinda forged ahead and improv'd around any problems. Since it was all scrap wood, it wasn't nerve racking at all, I guess it is different when you aren't worried about big $ wood in the project. LOL The body shape is similar to a 6 string fretless I made a while ago.

It sounds great and plays nicely, it's a 19" scale Zebrawood, Figured Maple neck and some dark wood fret board. I can't remember what or where I got the fretboard, but it does smell like lemons when sanded.
    In any case I'm very happy with it.
    Enjoy or not. ;)
    Dirk
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pretty cool!
    although the lower horn isn't exactly my cup of tea, the whole thing is a definate improvement over the original shape!!!
    awesome!

3. looks like it's big brother 6...that's the one with the Carvin neck and the Alembic pickups, right?

now what to call it? "hippo ashbory" just doesn't have a ring to it.

$80 worth of parts and some wood...hmmmm...sounds like an interesting project...once, I get set up in my new house, I'll definitely consider something like this.

I think sound clips are obligatory, don't you?

4. Thanks!
    Hey PilbaraBass it's not a carvin neck but Tobias import and no alembics just stock ADX6 but an Aguilar OBP3 inside. Here's a picture of the older sibling.

[​IMG]

I'll have to record some little ditty, give me a bit of time to work something up.
    Cheers,
    Dirk

5. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Funny that you did the Ashbory thing too.

I just got my parts in (I spent $70... not sure what you bought that I didn't... maybe knobs or something) as well. I am going to pick up some wood and mess around with it.

A teacher at school says I get to use the shop if I want... So I should have fun with lots of random tools I would never get to touch at my house (due to a lack of them).

6. Hey Demens,
    You'll have fun no doubt, and no I didn't get knobs, mine are body and neck wood. I ordered strings, bridge, tuners, preamp/board, nut, jack, strap buttons and sliderite. Allthough I haven't really had to use the powder yet. ;)
    Oh yeah since I've been playing it all night I recorded a little stuff.
    Just a bit of verb on it.
    This ones more straight ahead:
    HippoAshboryMP3
    This ones more out there:
    HippoAshboryMoreOutMP3
    Enjoy,
    Dirk

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    cool toy with a neat sound. Where did you get the parts?

8. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Heh... warped minds think alike, I guess. I've been toying with this idea myself. No truss rod, no high stresses, no super-precision work required... perfect for a first effort. An Ashbory's so small I figure I can use whatever (e.g., "heavy") stuff I want from the local lumber place. If things work out well and I like playing the thing, I can then invest in some really nicely figured wood and try my hand at a quality version.

Dirk, you and Demens have helped push me further towards this idea. Thanks. (And no, that's not sarcasm. :) )

'rick

9. Hey tjclem you can get parts at:
    http://www.largesound.com/
    And glad to provide some inspiration Maverick Blues!
    It was really a fun low stress build.
    Dirk

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    thanks is it an active pup or can you just plug it into the amp? $12 for the bridge and pickup? :hyper:

11. i didnt see a board or anything on that site.........hmmmm, could be a fun "rainy day" project

12. i think we have a mass consciousness thing going on here. I recieved my parts for one of these yesterday, its also going to be mostly zebrano and wood offcuts from other guitars. I am toying with the idea of making it les paul or telecaster shaped or some variation on the theme.

Do you have a wiring diagram? I have the pc board in fornt of me and dont know where the bridge, battery box or jack socket are supposed to be connected. I have emailed largesound as well , but just wonderd if you could help me

13. hmmmm, upright ashbory anyone? could be interesting

14. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Actually thought of that... But somebody has already made a custom stand for them that they are marketing that is similar to an upright... so I tossed the idea.

Yeah, I think we must be experiencing a subconcious movement towards these inexpensive, fun little items. Crazy. I actually plan on doing a few if I like how the one I build turns out.

and tjclem - it is active, so you need a 9v... I figure it's not too bad for the upright sound you get out of it.

Dirk - I realized I didn't order the strap buttons or the jack, I have some extra around the house. Also, I am going to do a 22" scale with an angled bridge to help compensate for the intonation problems everyone over at largesound.com have been complaining about. Should be fun!

Let the Ashbory building begin! :p

15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Sounds like a January project. I didn't se a control or active PCB on the web site. Where is it? It will be interesting to see a few of these. I can just picture the look on peoples faces when I show up at the local biker bar playing one. :eek:

16. Wow I'm glad this has struck something in a lot of people. :)
    That's cool!
    And I just checked on their site and they must have sold out on the boards, they are not there anymore when they were just a few days ago. I bet if you emailed them they might have an answer or at least be able to tell you when they'll have them.
    I seem to remember doing a google search and there was another company out of California that had parts too.
    In any case WezV I scanned my wiring in and lablelled a few things for you. TRS is of course tip ring and sleeve on the jack. Be warned though the jack I got from them was an import with the tip and ring reversed, that stumped me for a few. LOL
    And yes there is no web info on wiring anywhere I could find. It seems to me you can wire it just like any active setup if you don't have the board. In any case here you go:
    [​IMG]
    Let me know if I can be of any more help. Oh yeah please excuse my horrible forstner and endmill cavity work. ;)
    Dirk

17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    very cool hope thay have more when I am ready....t

18. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    When I ordered, I had to wait an extra week for them to get in more of their boards.

So, hopefully they will continue to restock these things as quickly as possible. Maybe the reason they are running out is because of Christmas gifts for people who like to do it themselves... you never know.

19. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    How did you all order without the part # for the electronic package?

20. When I ordered it was on their site, here's the item in my confirmation e-mail.

Quantity: 1
    Product: PC Assembly (with Potentiometers) ($ 21.00 ea.)
    Options:
    Cost (each): $ 21.00
    Item Subtotal: $ 21.00
    Wt. each: 0.00
    Total Wt.: 0

Dirk