1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot Extender for Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jim Miller, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    Hello,

Before posting this I've searched here without success, so I turn to you.

I want to install a Hipshot Extender on my new Gibson Thunderbird IV, but do they make one for the Tbird? I didn't see any on their website. Will one of the few "generic" Extenders do the job, such as the HE6Y or GB7?

Most appreciative if one/some of you guys can steer me in the proper direction.

2. have you tried calling hipshot..... i called their 800 number,and a live person answered immediately,and he was very helpful.....

3. Just email them and ask, i got an answer within 12 hours ( I emailed quite late, about 10pm)

Liam

4. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    My God, he hits me with the most obvious! Thank you for that, reaching for the phone.

5. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    Just a follow-up FYI for any others interested in putting a Hipshot on their Thunderbird. They emailed me (when I called they were closed) and wrote "The model you will need for your bass would be our GB7 Bass Xtender. This should be a direct replacement for your stock tuner."

6. HairPig

HairPig Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    MA
    Wanted to quickly resurrect this thread that I just found. I'm planning to get a Hipshot Xtender for my 2012 'Bird, and I was just curious if the OP or anyone else has in fact gotten the Hipshot GB7 and, if so, if it worked out as a direct drop-in replacement. I have experience with a Hipshot on my Fender, but this will be my first time installing it on a Thunderbird. I have an email out to Hipshot as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

7. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    Yes, got the GB7 and installed it. Fit right on, no drilling or modifying, works stellar.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I use one on my '06 Gibson T-bird, and it works well... I did send it in to Hipshot to install a longer string post on it, as the original was a little short - but they were great to deal with... I also have one of their Supertone bridges on the same bass, and it is very nice... IME/IMO, Hipshot is a great company that makes quality stuff...

- georgestrings

9. HairPig

HairPig Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    MA
    Thanks for the replies. By the way, heard back today from Bill at Hipshot. He said the GB7 is a direct drop-in replacement for the Thunderbird. I asked about the post length, and he said that is no longer an issue, as they now make the posts themselves for the GB7 so that they are the correct length.