1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot extender on a 5'r E string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Mar 24, 2010.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I play a 5'r (StingRay 5) exclusively, but I have a couple songs on which I need to tune only my E string down (for ease of playing), while keeping the rest untouched. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a stock extender on only the E string, or do I need a custom job? My only concern is the mechanism hitting the B string tuner, or not having enough room to flip the switch.

2. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Yeah I'd like to know this too. I'd consider doing this to my Stingray 5 for the cover songs I have to play in drop D. Right now I just play the D fretted at the 3rd on the B but that's not always the best recreation of a riff or part.

3. Hipshot makes a raised-lever D-tuner for just such a purpose.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Alternatively, you can talk to Jauqo about his special-designed double-xtender that detunes two strings simultaneously. I personally prefer to drop my B to an A whenever I'm in drop-D tuning.

5. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Already sent him a PM!

6. I was able to accomplish this on one of my Warwicks using the GB7 extender. The tuning keys clear each other, but the problem was that the lever you flip to "D" tune the string hit the B-string tuner. I took a dremel and shaved the lever so it would clear the adjacent tuning machine. It works great. You guys would have to use the BT1 extender, which I imagine could be set-up the same way. The only thing I suspect would be a problem is if the actual tuner keys make contact.

7. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Any idea where to find this?

8. I'm sure it was on Hipshot's site, which is currently down. I forget where I got mine. It was probably through BestBassGear.com. I just checked, and I didn't see it listed, but shoot Brian an e-mail. He's a great guy!

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Hipshot extender on a 5'r E string?

Why detune your E when you have a low B ... that seems like a useless thing to do.

10. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    It sounds useless, but on some songs that are originally drop-tuned, it's much easier to play it with one string tuned down, rather than using the B... open position playing. I literally play a total of 2 songs like this, at the most, but sometimes, they aren't back to back, and sometimes they're called as an audible, and rather than taking the time to retune on string, I'd rather flip the switch and go!

11. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Works on my Peavey TL-5. Besides trimming the front of the lever to miss the B tuner, I had to shorten the adjustment screw and spring to give finger room next to the A tuner. Not familiar enough with the particulars of a Stingray to comment on it working.

I use it on the E for the same reason as NicJimBass. "Brick In The Wall" just ain't the same using closed notes. Ties your left hand down and you can't make appropriate gestures to help get the crowd into it. ;)

mech

5StringD-tuner.

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    There are drop tuned songs that rely on an open D. Examples: a tune that bounces in between fretted notes and the open string or a tune with large intervals that only an open string can facilitate.

Most of the drop D tunes I've had to play are playable, closed position on a 5 but there are definitely exceptions where only an open D will do.

I'd contact hipshot directly. They definitely make an extended lever drop tuner. The design was pioneered for Michael Manring's Hyper Bass. Every string on that instrument can be dropped tuned.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Drop D tuning makes sense on a guitar but not on bass. It works for guitar because you need to play 6 noter in a chord and have a low D. If I want an open D then I tune DGCF or ADGCF. I have 15 5 string basses none of them will ever get a drop tuner.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That's because the wide headstock and large spacing of each d-tuner allows that on Mikes Hyper bass.. That is not possible to do on the E string of a StingRay 5.

15. My 5-strings both have Xtender keys on the B to drop to A. Nothing wrong at all with changing an open string from time to time.

Now, if I had 15 5 strings, I could keep each one in a different tuning and just pick up the bass I wanted for a given song, so I can see why you wouldn't need to do it. I do that with fourbangers - I have a standard, an Eb bass, a DGCF bass, and I plan on keeping a bass tuned F Bb Eb Ab soon. But in a gig situation, I like having a low B sometimes, and a low A sometimes. Only way to go back and forth that quick is with a drop tuner.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The reason I wanted a double D tuner was so that I could drop the E and A string down as low as I choose, while doing it on a 4 string.

On a four string I go from E A D G to C# F# D G.

17. Ummmm, congratulations? :eyebrow:

BrBss likes this.
  18. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    I've done the same thing (tuning all strings down), but for some songs (Slither by Velvet revolver or Killing in the Name by RATM for instance) it's so much easier to simply tune one string down, and play it. Now, if you're not playing live, and have the time to retune all your strings, then I can see the arguement, but when I'm playing and have to do this stuff on the fly, tuning one string > tuning all strings.

BTW, i never understood drop D or whatever tuning... for me, it is much easier to wrap my head around ADGCF tuning, but that's when I write music... when I'm playing a cover, it's simpler to keep the tune as-is, weird tuning and all.

joebar likes this.
  19. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Yeah, i looked a little closer at my SR5 headstock last night... right away I realized it wouldn't work, mostly because of the G string tuner.

20. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Not very useful in a live situation when a song needs the drop D and the song after that needs the E. You wouldn't want your singer telling jokes just to kill time while you're tuning.