1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot/Gotoh D-Tuner question for Mr. Manring

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by drumvsbass, Mar 16, 2018.

1. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Hello Micheal Manring, hope this thread finds you well. Straight to the point, I have a Zon Legacy Elite equipped with 4 D-Tuner keys. When I had ordered the bass from Zon I was expecting Hipshot branded D-tuners. It came with Gotoh D-tuners. I have found out recently that they are apparently the same thing as I had to replace the Gotohs I got from Zon. I ordered Hipshots straight from Hipshot and received... Gotohs. This isn't necessarily a problem, but I was wondering how often do you have to replace your D-Tuner keys? Mine lasted just about 8 years before falling apart/feeling very sloppy. Do you have actual Hipshot branded D-Tuners or Gotohs? I have Hipshot branded D-Tuners on several of my other basses (although the larger BT2 Fender style) and one of them is about 25 years old and still smooth as the day I got it on the bass. Thanks for the all the inspiration and hopefully a reply.

martythebassplayer.com

IMG_6926.

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi drumvsbass. As you point out, Hipshot offers several brands of tuning machines which they have fitted with re-tuning capabilities. This makes it easier to simply swap the keys on standard basses for Hipshot versions. On my Hyperbass I have the Gotoh style, on my main fretless I have Hipshot's own design they call "Ultralights." In the 25 or so years I've had my Hyperbass I've had to replace tuning keys a few times, but the Ultralights have held up a little better. Because of this and a few other issues I prefer the Ultralights, but if I recall correctly, Joe Zon prefers the Gotohs. Either way, it's a wonderful tool!

drumvsbass likes this.
  3. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg