Hipshot string retainer

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Apr 22, 2021.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    This is the one and only "mod" I've done to my 55-02; having to go underneath the original bridge every time may not seem like a big deal to most, but it was annoying to me AND this retainer makes changing strings faster ... and I think it also looks cooler :woot: ; other than that, this Bass is Amazing! (Top pic is the original retainer) 20210421_234220.jpg 20210422_010532.jpg

Geri O, JimmyM, Vinny_G and 1 other person like this.
  2. Allotabass1

Allotabass1

Dec 20, 2019
    What model retainer is it ? Hipshot?
    Also, does it line up with the existing screw holes ?

3. Allotabass1

Allotabass1

Dec 20, 2019
    I'm glad I sold the bass before I got a response.
    That was a close one.

staurosjohn likes this.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Very nice!

Riis

5. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    That B string looks close to the hold down screw.

is it touching?

6. macribas

macribas Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Cedar Park, TX
    Looking at the pics, the holes do not align.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I honestly don't like either string retainer. The first one bugs me because cheap 60's basses from Japan had that type of string retainer (bar with two screws). For the cost of Lakland basses, there should be a better string retainer, or a design that doesn't require one.
    The second retainer (Hipshot) just doesn't fit this bass correctly. It's a much better design than the original, but obviously can't be placed correctly on this bass.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022