1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot xtender and import to Canada question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by craigie, Aug 13, 2018.

1. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Got a question for y'all:

I'm thinking of ordering a hipshot bass extender for a 2012 American standard Jazz bass from bestbassgear online and would like some feedback about them from anyone who's used them:

1. BT8 is the correct model I believe. Anybody confirm? (I will with photos anyway before I order it).
    2. How well do they function? Accuracy of intonation, smooth action, don't wear out etc?
    3. Do they look stock from the front?
    4. Important: I don't think I had to pay any import duties to Canada when ordering things delivered through USPS. Just don't want to have a rediculous figure tacked on and you never know nowadays. After all, it's made out of steel ;). Any experience?

Cheers!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

1. I'm not sure but Hipshot customer service is one of the in the biz, I'd ask them.
    2. They work great as long as you keep them lubed and you can do a proper string job.
    3. Yup (until you flick the switch.)
    4. Correct, you don't pay duties. You pay taxes though and you will on a $60~ USD item. Take your quote to the local L&M, they will almost assuredly price match on Hipshot.

craigie likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Thanks bro! I’ll try that.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Before you order from best bass gear, check with bass strings online (dot) com.
    1. yes the BT8
    2. the post appears a little shorter than the others because of the extra piece under the tuner, But it's the same Fender tuner mounted on the plate.
    3. except for the slightly shorter post or if you flip the lever.
    4. dunno.

96tbird and craigie like this.
  5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Thanks!

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Yeah. Bassstringsonline. Ive ordered over $60 in string from him and paid only final cart. Import duties and taxes are all in.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I was gonna check there for him but they're offline, don't even know if they carry extenders.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

They did and their price was great. I bought all my Hipshot gear with Jason.

96tbird likes this.
  9. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Jason is Da Man. Since you’re in Cow-gary, driving across the border is not a realistic option for you. Most of the VanGroover guys ship to a receiving company just across the border - costs like $10/ year membership- and then go pick up once the item arrives. You can bring back $150 per trip tax-free , or, stay for 48 hours, and you are allowed $800 tax free. Saves big on shipping, too. As long as you have all documentation of the sale printed, and you are honest with the CBSA, you are all good. If you have friends in Lethbridge, this might work for ya!

craigie likes this.