1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Histoire de Melody Nelson

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Simonsimone123, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Simonsimone123

Simonsimone123

Aug 18, 2008
    Hey JMJ, i just heard the track Melody from the album Histoire de Melody Nelson...

Does this ring a bell? ;)

super cool!

2. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    That album sets such an awesome mood. Herbie Flowers on bass... I heard he played a Jazz with flats and a pick to get that awesome tone, but I could wrong.

I never thought I'd be into an album about a girl getting hit by a car and well... you know how the rest goes... all spoken in French with a sleazy sounding voice. :D

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Herbie Flowers owns one bass...a vintage Jazz with Rotosound nylons.

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes, of course it "rings a bell"! LOL! Any attempt to say "HEY JMJ, GOTCHA!!" when they hear Paper Tiger vs. Melody is a little late to the party. :) This has been covered extensively in the press and all over the internet in all the years since Sea Change was released.

It was an homage, with no attempts to hide its very direct relationship to the original.

And yes, the bass God known as Herbie Flowers does indeed just own that one bass. HOWEVER: it has also been spoken of on many occasions that on sessions he sometimes borrowed a Burns Bison, and that the bass tone you hear on that song is likely to be that bass, with tapewound flats.

Best,
    JMJ

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Never heard of it before but I just listened to some clips of that off Amazon, and man, that Herbie Flowers really nails it, both with tone and note choice. Never knew he used a Bison occasionally. I have to get deeper into him. Always loved the stuff he played like "Jump Into The Fire" and "Rebel Rebel," but I'm not near as deep as you are.

6. While we're on this subject: "The New Pollution" and The Beatles' "Taxman"?

7. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Nah. Not really close enough to call, IMO.

8. I don't think either, but I was showing some Beck songs to some Beatles-maniac mates, and when they heard The New Pollution, they were all "OMG, PLAGIARISMZZZ!!!!1!11"

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Justin, you didn't play on "New Pollution," did you? Other than the bassline being kind of similar, I really don't hear it as plagiarism. The rest of the song is too different. Besides, the Beatles stole from everyone, so even if the bassline was "borrowed," it's nothing they didn't do.

10. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Nah, that's not me on New Pollution. It's literally a 2-bar loop.

11. Yeah, I didn't notice that Justin didn't play on that album. I just figured he did, since he's on the video.

Anyway, in rock music, everybody borrows from everybody.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying that Beck borrowed in The New Pollution.

12. love histoire de melody nelson -- not sure herbie flowers played bass on it ... brian odgers is credited in the sleeve ...style/sound is Flowers-esque, though ... would love to get the facts if anyone knows them. regardless -- Herbie Flowers is a great player, Brian Odgers is (seemingly) a great player, and what a hip album.

13. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Actually that's RIGHT! I forgot about his name on the sleeve notes!

It MUST be him then. Interesting!

JMJ

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If that's him, he's definitely great, no question.

15. daniva

daniva

May 15, 2009
    I love the herbie's bassline in bowie's space oddity song, really some interesting notes comes in that bassline, is like another song but, complements very much with the whole song

16. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes, Herbie's GREAT on that one!!!!!!

17. Although brian odgers is credited on the sleeve on some CD reissues, on the original vinyl there is no credits except Gainsbourg (lyrics and vocals) and Vannier (music).
    I firmly believe that it is Herbie Flowers playing, and so says Vannier himself:

(sorry it is in french, but hey, that's a french record ;) )

18. jfader101

jfader101

Apr 16, 2010
    It is Herbie playing on histoire de melody nelson although the sleeve notes state otherwise.. Herbie also played the bassline on Lou Reeds Walk On The Wild Side.. pretty amazing.. although he told me he never recieved any money from the plays and sales of that record, he was only ever paid the session fee of £6!!! how much income has that record generated.. for lou reed, tribe called quest, nike...

19. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    several years before "Melody Nelson" - but there's what appears to be a Burns Bison. Except i don't think it's Flowers playing it. fwiw

20. jfader101

jfader101

Apr 16, 2010
    Herb's playing on Space Oddity is down that melodic line, played with pick sound, it is Herb, recently I had the fortune to have my vinyl copy of Melody Nelson signed by Jim Sullivan, Herbie Flowers and Vic Flick they all played on it and were recalling the sessions.. they kept talking about.. what did this beatiful young girl Melody see in Serge Gainsbourg.. I think he was a bit of an old Pedo.. I mean it’s a concept album about one man’s obsession with a 15-year-old girl