Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hmm i haven´t a clue

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Seppie, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    ok so by now...

do you folks over here got a clue how i can/should accompany a singer/guitar in a style somewhat between heather nova/emiliana torrini/ tori amos...
    i´m mainly a jazzer so the "loose" structure is giving me some trbls...
    i have some ideas but aahh
    i don´t know if i´m playing to much and to complicated...and then when i stick to the roots and only some color tones...i think it´s not filling it up...

hmm maybe i´m only somwhat of stressed cause it´s my first duo gig....and i had never rehearsed with the singer in this style of music... :help:
    maybe i should better do this --> :bag:

gruesze sebastian

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If I were in your position I would prefer to err on the side of economy.

3. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Seppie...I went through the same sort of situation, and I find that the lack of other instruments really gives you a better chance to explore your instrument, and play a bit more melodic and not so much backbone, but keep in mine you can create nice percussive sections to get the feet tappin' etc. as you still are the rhythm section.

Think more along the lines of what a left hand of a modern keyboardist piano does.

Hope this helps, let me know how your gig goes.

Introvox

4. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    thks...
    yesterday i had a rehearsal with the singer...
    it went pretty well! played more the melodic lines on my e-bass (12th fret and above)...
    and on double-bass i tried the more stable way (mostly with the bow)...
    for us it was ok...not wholy arranged but ok...

and thks for help...
    and i let you know asap...

gruesze sebastian

5. Yeah...the smaller the band = the more "room" you have to play...*shrug*:meh:

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I read in some jazz book my teacher gave me "The number of notes played is inversely proportionate to the number of people playing". I think it would be really fun to play in a duo. I'd imagine it would give you more breathing room in a sense. With fewer tones to contend with, one could use more than the norm to fill out the sound.

Hope you have fun in your group. :)
    Travis

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well, from my experience in play ing with singer/songwriters and playing with acoustic guitar, my advice would be keep it simple. If what they play is simple, then you dont want to play all over it or get in the way.

In my experience it goes one of two ways, either you can fill out the sound and it works, or it just sounds like you're being to busy. While you might hear plenty of space because you're used to a more full sounds, the song might need you to just play roots!

8. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    srry for the late reply...

the gig was realy ok...
    about 70 guests...for a place where 50 people are to much :D

we did it better than ever may thought about...
    and were "so good" that we were are invited to play christmas gig in a biker club *vma*

gruesze sebastian

9. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH

So how did you end up approaching the material? Eager minds want to know...:D

10. :D

sorry, always fun seeing someone mentioning icelandic artists :)