1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hmm weird problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Graham D, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Well I just got new strings I put them on but now when i hit my A string open it buzzes like its hitting a fret,but when I hold the nut on the A string and hit the string there is no buzzing the other strings sound great.Its just the A string.My brothers bass does it too.Do you think it has to do with how he put them on? :meh:

not sure if this is the right section >_<

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    did you change string gauge? sometimes an open string will buzz if the slot is too wide. Probably need more info diagnose

3. "when I hold the nut on the A string and hit the string "

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing there. Does it buzz when you play the first fret? Because if it buzzes open, but doesn't when you play the first fret it's something with the nut. Might be that it's too wide, or the slot might be too low.

4. Kran Banger

Kran Banger

Dec 1, 2006
    over time the slots on your nut wear away and get to wide. this same thing happened to my fender mustang...so your looking at a nut replacement, or building up the slot of the nut with epoxy and re filing it. best of luck

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Try using slow set CA glue and a toothpick to make the nut slot a little tighter.

6. Well how much do you guys think it would cost to fix ? :eyebrow:

and what I meant by that ray was when I press down on the nut then hit my a string it sounds like a normal open string,but when I just hit it open it sounds like buzzing noise of death = /

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    You get buy a new plastic nut for maybe 5 bucks. A graphite nut might be 12 bucks. But your current nut might be glued in place, which means you'll need a good pair of pliers to crack it loose, some sandpaper or a woman's nail file to smooth away the glue residue, then you can reglue the new nut.

Also, a new nut might increase the height of your action above the strings. Before you reglue the new one, place it in there and tighten everything up, and try playing with it. The strings should fit into the nut without pinching or binding as you put them in. If the nut is too high, sand the bottom down. If it's too low, add a few pieces of index card stock, or cut up a business card, or go back and buy a taller nut. In fact, take your bass with you when you go shopping for a new nut.