1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner Icon question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike M., Aug 12, 2012.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Went to my local music store today for kicks, saw and tried a new Hofner Icon bass. Haven't seen one there in months.

In the past when I tried them out...and I hate to say this because I know so many people like them, but they felt very cheap. Very disapointing and I tried out four of them. To my surprise this bass actually felt much more stable than those that I tried in the past. For as light as it is, it felt solid. Fretwork was very good and the setup wasn't bad. Fun to play.

Are these newer Icons better built or did I just stumble upon a very good one? (No offense to those owning older models).

I'm very tempted to buy it. I'd like to have a nice, light bass for home use because my lower back is giving me a lot of grief lately due to arthitis. I like standing when I practice and sometimes my 8 and 9 pound basses really get to me.

Thanks for your help.

2. Not sure this helps, but Hofner moved their Icon manufacturing from China to Indonesia, I believe. This may explain the difference you felt.

Having said that, I own a China made Icon and bought and then gave a newer one to my brother, as I just prefer the older model.

If you like it, buy it!

3. It might not have been an Icon but an Ignition? Not saying that's definitely the reason though

4. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Supporting Member

May 25, 2012
    In the Pond
    I've played Hofner basses for about 40 years. I've owned 6 German made Hofners over the years.

I recently acquired a Hofner Ignition, (formerly Icon) made in Indonesia, and I think it's the best Hofner that I've owned, hands down.

Just replace the inexpensive round would strings with: Hofner branded short scale flats, Thomastik-Infeld JF324H short scale for Hofner, Pyramid short scale flats, or Labella short scale flats for Hofner, and you'll have a great sounding and a great playing Hofner at a fraction of the cost of a German made one.

5. Falojazz

Falojazz

Mar 12, 2012
    I think there might be some difference in the wood and so on due to the actual cheapness of the guitar.
    Also, i think they vary a bit in setup.

So i would say, if you find one you like, get it!

I got mine six months ago, and i love it. I'ts turned out to be my favorite bass, and i can't believe instruments of that quality can be bought for that kind of money. The pickups are fantastic in my opinion... Great tone.

But if possible; make shure you try a couple before buying... It's worth it. :)

6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    String change and proper set up make a world of difference on these basses. I received my Icon as a gift from my wife. Did not like it at first and probably would not have bought it myself. But, when I switched out the cheap roundwound strings for flats and gave it a decent set-up, I was amazed. Totally changed the tone and feel of that bass. Its now one of my favorite basses - hands down. If you like it, get it. (Then change the strings to flats!)

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Nothing wrong with your thoughts about the old ones...they are very cheap. A lot of people like them, and many icons are pretty okay. The icons are cheap, though. Mine required some fretwork to be playable, and the bridge adjustment pieces are chrome-colored plastic. (I like mine, but it is a cheap bass.)

I can't say anything about the ignitions; I've never seen one.