1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner neck malfunction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Mahaffey, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Jim Mahaffey

Jim Mahaffey

Apr 23, 2015
    none
    Who has a Hofner (500/1 or 500/2) that has the neck/body junction worked on.
    I recently bought a 1966 Hofner Club (500/2) that I knew needed some work done, but once on the operating table, realized this was way bigger than anticipated.
    It seems someone has done something to this bass before and epoxy was used instead of hide glue.
    There is a string height on the 12th fret of almost an inch, and the neck itself is pretty strait.
    Is there a way to make this bass playable again?
    All ideas considered.
    :(

2. Joce

Joce

Jul 20, 2005
    Europe
    I can't help you, but I believe pictures will be very helpful for the experts. Also check out the Hardware, Setup & Repair and Luthier's Corner forums on here, the experts should be there...

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Your going to have to remove the neck and reset it into the body. Take it to a good luthier who knows how to do it if you're 100% sure yourself.

TD

4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    ^^THIS^^ That's a situation thet you definitely need to ask the guys on that forum about. There ere ways to break the bond on lots of readily available glues/adhesives, but epoxy? Nothing comes to mind. Pretty sure those guys will have an answer, though - hopefully a good one for you. Good luck!:)

5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Epoxy is the worst possible scenario. Getting it all out without wood damage is a nightmare. And there's no other way to lower the action without a full neck reset. Shame......