1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hole nuts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by vbasscustom, Sep 26, 2008.

1. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    Ok, so i might just be crazy, but, if im not, please say so. i was thinking the other day that what if instead of nut slots, why not nut holes? i mean, that would completely eliminate the possiblity of the strings slipping out of their slots right. so like i said, i might be crazy, but i hope not:meh:

2. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    -much less tuning stability from increased friction when tightening/loosening
    -the old design has worked well for centuries
    -much more of a pain to take off the strings with the intent of saving them...instead of just pulling them up you have to thread them out through the nut
    -with a well cut nut, the strings won't slip out anyway. that's never happened to me, at least.

and i'm sure there are other reasons.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    You mean something like this but for a bass??

Scott-French-Headless-Travel-Guitar-Headstock-Detail.

4. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yeah sure, i was just thinking that i might have a genius idea, i hadnt thought of all that. thanks anyway

5. mynameisandyb

mynameisandyb

Jul 20, 2008
    I may eventually do something similar to this. Instead of tight holes, loose holes (shaped as if they were an extension of a nut slot). Instead of closed holes, one with a channel offset on the top to allow for string removal. Instead of holes that simply let the strings pass through, holes that are angled downward away from the neck to act as string trees.

I hope someone here tries this.

6. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yeah, thats kind of like what i was thinking, i dont know what differences it would make, but i think it would be pretty cool.

7. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Thats a Scott French design. He is a TBers so you can PM him and ask him what does he thinks about those nuts.

8. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Seems like if you're going to make it that hard to change strings you may as well just go with a locking nut.