1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Holeyboard plastic laminate Baltic ply

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by james condino, Feb 10, 2017.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I figure this is the best nerd section to post this thread since it apply to materials and the nerdy types who use them and know where to acquire them. Does anyone know where I can find this style of very high grade, void free thick ply, Baltic birch ply material with the bright color 1/8" outside plastic laminates like they use for Holey board pedalboards?

Holeyboard M3 Series

I contacted them but got a very generic response and no luck locating so far. I've only been able to find the weak and thin phenolic exterior plys similar to what they sell at Rockler and Woodcraft; this seems waaaaayyyyyyyy better. I'm building a few new jigs and molds and this seems perfect. I'd buy it in larger sheets if needed; just trying to find the source without having to fire up my vacuum system and make my own. I want it in the bright red and yellow colors.

thx.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Wow. That stuff is gorgeous! I bet it's custom made though. You have to send a spy into the Holeyboard offices and find out who is supplying it:D. I did my kitchen in bamboo plywood and still have a bunch leftover. It is super hard and flat. Excellent for what you're talking about, but obviously not coated. Clamp1.
    Clamp5.

james condino likes this.
  3. Ortsom

Ortsom Banned

Mar 23, 2016
    James, if you forego on the colour & birch requirements, J. Gibson McIlvain could supply in Okoumé, in the US. Suprahecht Mahogany is the best (20 years guarantee), but far more expensive and likely beyond what you need.

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow. Mahogony plywood. At least my bamboo is renewable:) This exotic stuff still has a plain wood surface, I think. James seems more interested in a board with a hard and durable plastic coating, like he showed in the link. The manufacture says: "To make the boards even stronger and lighter, I reduced the thickness and put a bulletproof high pressure laminate on the top and the bottom."
    I wonder if it is polycarbonate? You probably can't get this stuff through your flooring supplier!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. Ortsom

Ortsom Banned

Mar 23, 2016
    Rob, as stated in the link: the supply chain is FSC-certified:thumbsup:, and these both have a plain wood surface. That's why I said 'if you forego on the colour ... requirements'. At least I mentioned a supplier of void-free ply, suitability for James to decide. If the outer layer is more important for his application, maybe a kitchen top in bright red and yellow is more suitable, but I wouldn't know where to get that.

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Dude, whatever. I try to post only when I have information to share which has a slight chance of being, maybe in some tiny way, USEFUL. I suppose I am breaking my own rule right now.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  7. Ortsom

Ortsom Banned

Mar 23, 2016
    Indeed. And also your #4.
    Just let the OP choose from the replies he gets on the question he asks, without shooting at another reply that comes.

8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Thx for the responses and the 'boo ply photos; still looking.

9. keiranohara

keiranohara Commercial User

Nov 7, 2007
    Ossining, NY
    Luthier at AES Fine Instruments
  10. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Not sure where you can get the materials but I'm really digging Holeyboards stuff.

james condino likes this.